History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kingston Deverill, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1326 / 51°7'57"N

Longitude: -2.2217 / 2°13'18"W

OS Eastings: 384584

OS Northings: 137062

OS Grid: ST845370

Mapcode National: GBR 1VX.WN5

Mapcode Global: VH97V.FSVL

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364367

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313384

Location: Kingston Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Kingston Deverill

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Monkton Deverill

Listing Text

KINGSTON DEVERILL KINGSTON DEVERILL VILLAGE
ST 83 NW
(south side)
5/163
Church of St. Mary
11.9.68

GV II*

Anglican parish church. C15, 1846 restoration by Manners and Gill
of Bath. Limestone, rock-facing to nave and chapel, Welsh slate
or lead roofs. Plan: nave, south chapel, now organ chamber,
chancel and central tower, south porch. Gabled porch with
diagonal buttresses and coped verge and pointed archway with ogee
cusping and shafts with foliated capitals. Nave has 2-light
pointed geometric-style window to left and right, corbel table
with foliated corbels and plain blocking course. Rebuilt south
chapel has two 3-light pointed geometric-style windows with
hoodmoulds, similar corbel table and blocking course to nave.
Three-stage central tower has buttresses with offsets, 2-light
geometric-style window to first stage, trefoil-headed window to
second stage, bell-stage has string course and 2-light
Perpendicular window with decorative pierced louvres, moulded
string course with good carved gargoyles. Chancel has two C19
cusped lancets with hoodmoulds to south side, east end has diagonal
buttresses, large 3-light geometric-style window and gable with
ballflower ornament, north side has cusped lancet, pointed planked
door with strap hinges in cusped arch with attached shafts,
foliated frieze to blocking course of open trefoils on north and
south sides. North side of tower has square stair turret with
chamfered doorway and loopholes, low broach spire with roll
moulding. North side of nave has one 2-light geometric-style
window to left and three to right of pointed doorway of vestry,
blocking course as on south. West end has diagonal buttresses and
good 4-light geometric-style window.
Interior: porch has moulded cusped rafter roof, pointed inner
doorway. Five-bay nave has good C19 cusped arch-braced collar
trusses and plainer trusses to half-bays, cusped windbraces.
Plain ashlar walls. South chapel, now organ chamber has 2-bay
arcade on octagonal piers and responds and cyma-moulded arches,
probably C15. Double-chamfered tower arches, ceiling with moulded
cross beams. Two-bay chancel has good C19 cusped and carved arch-
braced collar trusses, cusped windbraces, windows with cusped rere-
arches, plain reredos with stone foliated frieze, polychrome tiled
floor. Fittings: C19 brass and wooden communion rail, fine
wooden pulpit with panels of Flemish Flamboyant tracery, C12
cylindrical stone font at west end, C19 pews with carved bench-
ends. Medieval stone effigy in chancel; unidentified. White
marble wall tablet in south chapel to Jane Deer, died 1778 and
other members of family up to 1840. C16 grisaille glass in west
window, late C19 stained glass in nave dedicated to Philip Moore
and Amy Stratton. Fine late C14 wood seated figure of Virgin and
Child, probably German and given to the Church in 1970 by Mr.
Holman. Restoration paid for by Dowager Marchioness of Bath.
(Kelly's Directory, Wiltshire, 1875. N. Pevsner, The Buildings of
England, Wiltshire, 1975.)


Listing NGR: ST8458437062

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.