This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1979 / 51°11'52"N
Longitude: -2.1482 / 2°8'53"W
OS Eastings: 389738
OS Northings: 144306
OS Grid: ST897443
Mapcode National: GBR 1V7.X9C
Mapcode Global: VH97P.Q551
Entry Name: Bishopstrow House Hotel
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364375
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313229
Location: Bishopstrow, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Bishopstrow
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Bishopstrow St Aldhelm
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
BISHOPSTROW WARMINSTER ROAD
ST 84 SE
3/12 Bishopstrow House Hotel, (formerly
listed as Bishopstrow House)
Detached house, now hotel. 1817, by John Pinch the Elder of Bath
for William Temple. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate mansard roof,
ashlar stacks with moulded cappings. Regency. Two-storey, 5-
windowed symmetrical front: 12-pane sashes. Central porch with 2
fluted Ionic columns and pilasters in antis, double doors with 6
fielded panels, centre bay projects slightly, either side are two
sashes. First floor has 5 sashes, moulded stone cornice to
blocking course. Four dormers to roof with casements. Left return
is garden front with central 3-sash 2-storey bow and one sash
either side, cornice and blocking course. Right return is English
garden wall bond brick with sashes and casements, attached to right
is single-bay late C19 addition, stucco with sashes on three
floors. Rear has round-arched stair window to left, sashes and
attached C20 conservatory, range to left is brick with segmental-
headed 16-pane sashes.
Interior: entrance hall has elliptical-arched openings, good
fluted door and window architraves with panelled reveals and
paterae or rosettes, mahogany doors with 6 fielded panels. Open-
well stairs with wrought iron balustrade and ramped mahogany
handrail, wreathed at bottom, guilloche frieze to stair ceiling
with central rosette. Drawing room has marble fireplace surround
with Ionic columns, anthemion ceiling frieze with rosette.
Attached to right is early C19 L-plan 2-storey stable block in
English garden wall bond brick with slate roof. Currently
undergoing extensive renovation and conversion to hotel
accommodation (April 1985). House built to replace C17 Bishopstrow
House to south of road, near The Coach House (q.v.), which was
partly destroyed by fire c.1800. The main gardens are still to
south of road and connected by the Tunnel (q.v.) under the A36.
(VCH. Wiltshire, 1965, p.6).
Listing NGR: ST8973844306
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings