History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Highway Cottage wendy House

A Grade II Listed Building in Heytesbury, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1826 / 51°10'57"N

Longitude: -2.1079 / 2°6'28"W

OS Eastings: 392553

OS Northings: 142597

OS Grid: ST925425

Mapcode National: GBR 2WT.V6K

Mapcode Global: VH97Q.DJZT

Entry Name: Highway Cottage wendy House

Listing Date: 11 September 1968

Last Amended: 1 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364387

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313288

Location: Heytesbury, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Heytesbury

Built-Up Area: Heytesbury

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Heytesbury with Tytherington and Knook St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Heytesbury

Listing Text

HEYTESBURY HIGH STREET
ST 92SW
(south side)
9/67
No. 60 (Highway Cottage) and
attached Wendy House, (formerly
11.9.68 listed as Laberna)

GV II

House at end of row with attached stables, now annexe. Mid C18 and
early C19. Flemish bond brick, Wendy House is English garden wall
bond brick, tiled roofs, brick stacks. Two storey, 4-windowed;
sashes. House has door with 6 fielded panels to right of centre,
16-pane sash to right and two 12-pane sashes to left with thick
glazing bars. First floor has three 12-pane sashes and one 6-pane
sash. Attic has hipped dormer with 2-light casement to left.
Wendy House is single storey, gable end to road with 6-panelled
door and 12-pane flush sash, half-hipped roof, linked to the house
by double planked doors giving access to yard. Rear of house has
two early C20 canted bays with French windows and half-glazed door
between, first floor has 4-pane and 12-pane sashes. Right return
of annexe was formerly partly open-fronted, now with C20 casements
and door.
Interior of house has 6-panelled doors and doors with four fielded
panels, dog-leg stairs with stick balusters and turned newels,
deeply chamfered beam with runout stops to east part of house,
possibly a survival from the house partly destroyed by fire in
1765.


Listing NGR: ST9255342597

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.