History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas More

A Grade II Listed Building in Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3479 / 51°20'52"N

Longitude: -2.2514 / 2°15'4"W

OS Eastings: 382589

OS Northings: 161012

OS Grid: ST825610

Mapcode National: GBR 1SC.FLW

Mapcode Global: VH96V.XDN1

Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas More

Listing Date: 23 August 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364518

English Heritage Legacy ID: 312585

Location: Bradford-on-Avon, Wiltshire, BA15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bradford-on-Avon

Built-Up Area: Bradford on Avon

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bradford-on-Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bradford on Avon

Listing Text

1. MARKET STREET
5411 (West Side)

Roman Catholic Church
of St Thomas More
ST 8261 1/188

II GV

2.
The properties of the Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas More and the
Midland Bank in Church Street were originally built to house the Town
Hall and Council Offices. Together these properties form the single most
prominent feature in the townscape of Bradford-on-Avon. 1854-5 by Thomas
Fuller of Bath. Ashlar. Occupying a corner site. The main entrance
to the building is set diagonally across the corner of the building, which
is dominated by a tall octagonal tower with an onion dome supporting a
ball and weathervane. Moulded cornice below dome with finely carved grotesques
at angles. Triple sound-holes to each face of the tower. Octagonal top
has weatherings which rise from a larger base. The whole tower then turns
square with parapets, large corner finials and Jacobean-shaped gablets
effecting the change. Clock on raised field directly over entrance.
Deep broken cornice under clock, with the extended centre light of a large
3-light mullioned window rising through cornice. Large sloping offset
occurs above ground-floor level and continues across on to 2 low flanking
extensions. Main entrance has a large flattened 4-centred arch with multiple
mouldings, and a hood-mould with heraldic label-stops. Triangular fanlight
and double wooden doors up 4 steps. Circular device with shield and date
1854 over doorway.

The Roman Catholic Church of St Thomas More forms a group with all the
listed buildings in Church Street, The Chantry and Little Chantry, No
7 and Nos 9 to 19 (consec) Barton Orchard, Nos 5 and 6 and 27 to 31 (consec)
and wall,Newtown.


Listing NGR: ST8258961012

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.