History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ailesbury Column

A Grade II Listed Building in Burbage, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3819 / 51°22'54"N

Longitude: -1.6719 / 1°40'19"W

OS Eastings: 422926

OS Northings: 164808

OS Grid: SU229648

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z1.B3X

Mapcode Global: VHC1W.YJZJ

Entry Name: Ailesbury Column

Listing Date: 27 May 1964

Last Amended: 13 June 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364594

English Heritage Legacy ID: 312211

Location: Burbage, Wiltshire, SN8

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Burbage

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Mildenhall

Listing Text

BURBAGE -
SU 26 SW
2/1 Ailesbury Column
(formerly listed as Column on Main
27.5.64 Avenue)
II

Commemorative column on grand avenue from Tottenham House (q.v.
Great Bedwyn CP). c1760 and 1789. Ashlar limestone. A single
giant Ionic column raised on pedestal within raised enclosure.
Capital crowned by cylinder carrying a bronze urn. Inscriptions in
white marble inset in pedestal, reading: In Commemoration of / a
signal instance of Heaven's Providence/ OVER THESE KINGDOMS, / in
the year 1789: / by restoring to perfect Health / from a long and
afflicting Disorder / their excellent and beloved Sovereign /
GEORGE THE THIRD / This Tablet was Inscribed / by / THOMAS BRUCE
EARL OF AILESBURY. South-east side: This Column was erected / by
Thomas Bruce Earl of Ailesbury / As a Testimony / of Gratitude /
To his ever honoured Uncle Charles Earl of Ailesbury and Elgin /
who left to him these estates / and procured for him the Barony of
Tottenham. / And of Loyalty / To his most Gracious Sovereign /
GEORGE III / who unsolicited conferred on him / the Honour of an
Earldom. / But above all / of Piety / TO GOD, FIRST, HIGHEST, /
BEST. / Whose blessing consecrateth every gift / And fixeth its
true value / MDCCLXXXI. Column believed to have been originally
set up c1760 at Brandenburg House, Hammersmith and later removed
and rededicated. Around enclosure, iron railings with alternate
javelin and wavy heads set on dwarf wall. Urns on corner
stanchions.


Listing NGR: SU2292664808

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.