This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3158 / 51°18'57"N
Longitude: -1.906 / 1°54'21"W
OS Eastings: 406650
OS Northings: 157418
OS Grid: SU066574
Mapcode National: GBR 3WV.JXT
Mapcode Global: VHB4P.X683
Entry Name: Conock Old Manor
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Last Amended: 25 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364624
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311965
Location: Chirton, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Chirton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chirton and Patney St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 05 NE
3/61 Conock Old Manor
House, late C17 and 1753 for Gifford Yerbury. English bond
brickwork with stone quoins and dressings, slate roof. Two
storeys, cellar and attics. 'L'-plan, comprising a west block of 7
window bays, and rear wing on left of 2 bays containing kitchen,
and single storey service building beyond. Main 7-bay elevation
has central half-glazed door with moulded stone architrave and
timber pediment. Windows 12-pane sashes with moulded stone
architraves with bead moulded arrises, but central window to upper.
floor has round head with raised key and springer stones.
Elevation is raised on stone semi-basement with 2-light chamfered
stone windows to cellars. Raised parapet. Right gable and rear
elevations of this block were not remodelled in mid C18, and retain
stone cross windows in English bond brickwork. Door in second bay,
6-panelled with moulded stone architrave and stone pediment on
simple console brackets. Moulded stone drip mould returns on
kitchen wing, but removed on rear elevation. North elevation as
west front, raised on malmstone plinth, with chamfered stone sill,
and plain plat band. Five bays, with central door with architrave
and flat stone canopy on consoles. Heavy glazing bars to windows.
Date 1753 with end lozenge motifs in vitrified headers between
upper windows. Major external stack to gable of kitchen wing.
Three flat roofed paned dormers.
Interior: Room in north-west corner panelled. Attic stairs have
late C17 balusters.
(V.C.H. X. 65).
Listing NGR: SU0665057418
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings