This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.346 / 51°20'45"N
Longitude: -1.8003 / 1°48'1"W
OS Eastings: 414005
OS Northings: 160792
OS Grid: SU140607
Mapcode National: GBR 4XY.FPR
Mapcode Global: VHB4K.RF3G
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364663
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311771
Location: Wilcot, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Wilcot
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
WILCOT CHURCH END
SU 16 SW
5/136 Church of the Holy Cross
Anglican parish church. Late C12, C15, 1718, 1825 and much
restored after fire in 1876, by A.J. Style. Malmstone with
limestone dressings. Tiled roof. Nave and north aisle, south
porch, chancel and west tower. South porch and C18 reconstruction
further repaired in later C19. Moulded 2-centred arch and
perforated barge boards. Datestone 1718. Inner door late C12-
early C13, slightly pointed and chamfered. Two-light nave windows,
largely renewed in C19, in deep reveals. Square sundial dated
1840. Chancel rebuilt in 1825 by Col Wroughton; low set 3-light
Perpendicular style windows and a porch to a south priest's door.
Four C12 stones from former chancel reset, two being capitals with
masks and drapery. The aisle has 3-light square-headed windows.
West tower of 2 stages, tall lower stage with west door and window
in very deep reveals. Bell openings have Somerset tracery.
Crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles.
Interior: mostly rendered in C19. Nave of 3 bays, arcade
reconstructed after 1876. Chancel arch with triple columned
responds and restored trumpet capitals carrying pointed arch of 2
orders. High above, a semi-circular arch blocked and wider than
nave, perhaps from the church mentioned in 1086. Squint from
aisle. Roof of 1876. Chancel is long, of 3 bays with late C19
roof. Fittings: all C19. Font, limestone, square, on 5 columns.
Monuments: on north side of chancel, a wall-tomb, 1574.
Limestone. A flush chest with 3 strapwork shields. Four-centred
arch over with arms spandrels. Scrolled crest and date. Within
arch a painted inscription to John Borwick (Berwick) and daughter.
Also eight C19 and 1 x C20 brasses to Montague and other families.
West wall of aisle has a moulded stone tablet, C18, to Jane Brooke,
her mother and aunt. On south side of chancel, a framed wood fruit
trencher of 1610 with a painted inscription reading 'Though hungrie
meals be put in pot, yet concious cleare keepe without spot, do the
keepe the corpse in quiet rest, than hee that thousands hath in
(Pevsner Sir N., Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE)
Listing NGR: SU1400560792
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings