History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chesterton and Kingston, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2212 / 52°13'16"N

Longitude: -1.4787 / 1°28'43"W

OS Eastings: 435711

OS Northings: 258240

OS Grid: SP357582

Mapcode National: GBR 6PC.QZC

Mapcode Global: VHBXY.BF4K

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 30 May 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364715

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307048

Location: Chesterton and Kingston, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV33

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Chesterton and Kingston

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Chesterton St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Harbury

Listing Text

CHESTERTON AND KINGSTON CHESTERTON
SP35NE
5/54 Church of St. Giles
30/05/67
GV II*

Church. C12 origins. Early C13 nave, chancel and tower, possibly lengthened late
C14. Late C15 roof and nave south wall and porch. Upper part of tower c.1600.
Restored 1862. Chancel tower and nave north wall of squared coursed white
limestone; tower has contrasting limestone dressings. Nave north wall and porch
of limestone ashlar; nave wall has some ironstone. Lead roofs with embattled
parapets. Porch has old tile roof. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch.
Decorated and Perpendicular style. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Long, low and
narrow, with only slight differentiation between chancel and nave. C19
three-light east window with head stops. Hood moulds. Gable parapet has cross
finial. South priest's doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders. North and south
windows have restored cusped Y-tracery. North side has angle and other
buttresses. South porch has moulded basket arch doorway. C17/C18 painted sundial
above. Stone seats. Decorated south doorway of 2 moulded orders with wide band
between of large ballflowers and running trail. Splayed plinth and angle
buttresses. C19 double-leaf door. 3 late Perpendicular straight headed windows
of 3 hollow chamfered Tudor-arched lights. Early C15 sculptured panel above
porch, probably of the Adoration of the Magi, has moulded frame and 3 panels
with ogee canopies and headless figures; fourth panel missing; probably
originally part of a reredos. North side has 4 buttresses, much patched with
brick. 3-light Perpendicular north-east window. Decorated north-west window has
curvilinear tracery. Low bricked-up north door. Tower of 2 stages has massive
diagonal buttresses of 3 offsets to first stage. Moulded string course. Low
moulded west doorway with C19 plank door. Basket-arched window above. Tudor
arched south window. Second stage has quoins. Bell openings of paired chamfered
segmental-arched lights. Embattled parapet with moulded cornice. Interior:
chancel and west end plastered. Chancel has Decorated piscina with nodding ogee
head, ribs and carved boss. Restored low-pitched Perpendicular roof of 9 bays
has moulded tie beams, curved braces, and purlins, and colonnette wall-posts on
stone corbels. Nave, now extended into chancel, with screen positioned east of
priest's door. Nave has painted piscina with ogee arch. Fittings: C13 tapering
cylindrical font with moulded base and short stem. Late C19/C20 Perpendicular
style screen. Mid C19 pews. Stained glass; nave north east window has C15
fragments. East window 1862 by O'Connor. Monuments: nave south west: Sir
Humphrey Peyto 1585 and Anna Peyto. Painted alabaster chest tomb with effigies,
balusters and shields of arms, and 2 back panels of children. West: Edward Peyto
1643 and Elizabeth Peyto by John Stone. White marble busts in aedicule with
Corinthian columns and half-columns and cartouche of arms within the pediment.
North west: William Peyto 1619 and his wife 1636. By Nicholas Stone 1639. White
marble busts in large niche with cartouche, within aedicule of composite
pilasters and pediment containing a small segmental pediment. It cost £150. Both
monuments are very fine. Floor slab: Edward Peyto 1658. Large black slab with
carved coat of arms.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.45-46; Buildings of England: Warwickshire,
pp.230-231).


Listing NGR: SP3571158240

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.