This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2163 / 52°12'58"N
Longitude: -1.4335 / 1°26'0"W
OS Eastings: 438800
OS Northings: 257714
OS Grid: SP388577
Mapcode National: GBR 6PM.4D6
Mapcode Global: VHBXZ.3KJC
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 30 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364721
English Heritage Legacy ID: 307000
Location: Bishop's Itchington, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV47
Civil Parish: Bishop's Itchington
Built-Up Area: Bishop's Itchington
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Bishop's Itchington St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
BISHOPS ITCHINGTON STATION ROAD
SP35NE (West side)
5/5 Church of St. Michael
Church. Rebuilt 1872. Designed by Ewan Christian. Regular coursed blue lias with
plinth, limestone dressings, alternating quoins and moulded cornices. Tile roofs
have ridge cresting and coped gable parapets with decorated cross finials; tower
has slate pyramid roof. Chancel, nave, north aisle and vestry, west tower and
south porch. Gothic Revival style, with reticulated tracery. One-bay chancel,
3-bay nave. 3-light east window. 4-light straight-headed south window. Buttress
of 2 offsets between chancel and nave, and between vestry and aisle. Porch has
doorway of 2 chamfered orders. Small ogee east and west lancets. South doorway
inside of 2 chamfered orders. Plank door. 2-light straight-headed south east
window. 4-light central and 2-light windows. Vestry has 2-light east window.
Shouldered north doorway. Aisle has 3-light north-east and 2-light central
windows. Remainder hidden by late C20 parish room. 3-light west window. Tower of
2 stages has string course, moulded cornice and moulded parapet. 2-storey first
stage. Chamfered west doorway of 2 orders. 2-light west window. Slit window to
all sides. South side has clock face. Top stage has traceried 2-light bell
openings. Gargoyles. Arches have hood moulds and lias outer arches throughout.
Interior: simple Early English style, with plastered walls. Arches of 2 orders
throughout. Chancel has segmental pointed arch to organ chamber. Chancel arch on
colonnettes with fluted corbels. Arcade has round piers and moulded octagonal
capitals. Responds have round capitals on corbels. Scissor braced roofs
throughout; chancel and nave have collars. Fittings: reredos of marble, mosaic
and encaustic tiles. Font. Early C20 Perpendicular style screen and attached
pulpit. Stained glass: east window and aisle central window probably 1870s;
chancel south window 1882.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, p,123; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.2141,
Listing NGR: SP3883057737
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings