History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warwickshire County Council Staff Club, Northgate and Northgate House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Warwick, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2837 / 52°17'1"N

Longitude: -1.5892 / 1°35'21"W

OS Eastings: 428122

OS Northings: 265141

OS Grid: SP281651

Mapcode National: GBR 5M4.T6L

Mapcode Global: VHBXH.DVQP

Entry Name: Warwickshire County Council Staff Club, Northgate and Northgate House

Listing Date: 10 January 1953

Last Amended: 19 March 1973

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 307585

Location: Warwick, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV34

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Warwick

Built-Up Area: Warwick

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Warwick St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Warwick

Listing Text

1.
1781 NORTHGATE
Warwickshire County
Council Staff Club
(Northgate House &
Northgate)
(formerly listed as
Northgate House,
Saltisford)
SP 2865 SW 3/202 10.1.53.
II*

2.
Good late C17 2 storey plus attic 11 window red brick facade with stone
dressings, at present in rather poor repair. Sashes in cased frames with
stone keyblocks. Centre portion, 3 window wide, breaks forward and is
surmounted by triangular pediment having elliptical shaped sundial with
moulded architrave and four plain keyblocks. Central window on first floor
has heavy, bolection moulded architrave. Under this, on ground floor,
is a large rectangular opening with fielded panelled doors in plain brick
reveals. Moulded cornice at eaves in decayed condition, string band at
first floor, plinth and rusticated quoins all in local sandstone. 4 window
wings on each side have dormers with alternate triangular and segmental
pediments. Practically identical 6-fielded-panel doors and semi-circular
fanlights in plain reveals, but glazing bars to left hand fanlight have
been replaced. Good, simple, wrought iron railings. Elaborate C20 corbelled
stone sundial (dated 1698), on side facing Cape Road. Satisfactory hipped
roof of (probably later) brindle tiles. Date 1698 also at back on rainwater-
head.

SP2812265141

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.