This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.28 / 52°16'48"N
Longitude: -1.4988 / 1°29'55"W
OS Eastings: 434292
OS Northings: 264770
OS Grid: SP342647
Mapcode National: GBR 6NR.5VH
Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.ZY0J
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saint Nicholas
Listing Date: 11 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1364924
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308111
Location: Radford Semele, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV31
Civil Parish: Radford Semele
Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Radford Semele St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
RADFORD SEMELE Southam Road
16/239 Parish Church of
Parish church. Built early in C12 and enlarged in Cl4 when tower erected.
However, practically entirely rebuilt in 1889 with the exeption of tower and
south wall of the nave. The cost of this rebuilding (£2,200) was defrayed by
John Francis-Greswolde-Williams, the patron of the living and lord of the manor.
The work was designed by Mesrs R Rowe and Son, architects, of Worcester, and
carried out by Councillor Dawkes of Leamington. Walls of ashlar faced except
south wall of nave which is of random rubble. Steeply pitched plain tile roof.
Apart from a three-light east window with Perpendicular tracery to chancel, the
other windows to the main body of the church are mainly of two-trefoiled lights.
However, in south wall of nave is a small C12 window of which the round head is
in one stone and it has a hood mould with square stops. There is an 1889 rose
window above the south doorway, the latter with two moulded orders is of C14
date. The Perpendicular west tower is of two stages, with angle buttresses
terminating just below the embattled parapet. In its west face is a window of
three cinquefoiled lights. Interior: The chancel arch is pointed, and of two
chamfered orders supported on short shafts with foliated capitals resting on
corbels. The nave opens into north aisle by an arcade of three pointed arches
with moulded piers. The nave opens into the tower by a lofty two-centred arch
of two chamfered orders, the imposts being cut back as square pilasters.
Reredos of Caen stone, four columns supporting three canopies with carved
mouldings and finials - given by Dr Blunt in memory of his Mother.
Listing NGR: SP3429264770
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings