History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Woodcote

A Grade II Listed Building in Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3196 / 52°19'10"N

Longitude: -1.5875 / 1°35'14"W

OS Eastings: 428214

OS Northings: 269138

OS Grid: SP282691

Mapcode National: GBR 5LR.FH5

Mapcode Global: VHBX9.FYMN

Entry Name: Woodcote

Listing Date: 23 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1364959

English Heritage Legacy ID: 308089

Location: Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV35

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Leek Wootton and Guy's Cliffe

Built-Up Area: Leek Wootton

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Leek Wootton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Kenilworth

Listing Text

LEEK WOOTTON Woodcote Lane
10/217
Woodcote
-

- II

Main part dated 1861, extended 1869, by John Gibson in Jacobean style for Henry
Christopher Wise. Large sandstone ashlar house, rectangular on plan, 6 bays
long by 4 bays wide. Two storeys and attic. Tall moulded plinth and string
bands with saw-tooth decoration. Moulded eaves cornice. Steeply pitched plain
tile roof with gabled ends, all gables have finials. Four and six-light
mullion/transom stone windows. The end bays to south elevation have two storey
splayed bay windows with carved balustrading of pierced stonework. Main
entrance is on left of east elevation in a two storey projecting bay with
curvilinear gable. Four-centred arch to entrance porch with stiff leaf carving
in spandrels and oriel bay window above with carved stone armorial balustrade.
All chimney stacks have been truncated. Later matching addition, dated 1869
in south gable, projects from north-east. Interior: Good interior features
include chimney-pieces. Square inner hall occupies centre of main building
with stone staircase off the north side to arcaded first floor. The arches
to first floor arcade are supported on paired slender marble columns. Flat
ribbed timber ceiling to inner hall. The entrance porch and passage linking
it to the inner hall, have rib vaulting.

Listing NGR: SP2821469138

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.