This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3146 / 52°18'52"N
Longitude: -1.3671 / 1°22'1"W
OS Eastings: 443244
OS Northings: 268687
OS Grid: SP432686
Mapcode National: GBR 7PP.WQF
Mapcode Global: VHCV2.824Y
Entry Name: Birdingbury Hall
Listing Date: 4 December 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365042
English Heritage Legacy ID: 308647
Location: Birdingbury, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV23
Civil Parish: Birdingbury
Built-Up Area: Birdingbury
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Birdingbury St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
BIRDINGBURY FRANKTON ROAD
SP46NW (East side)
5/6 Birdingbury Hall
Country house, now offices. Early C17; largely remodelled and rebuilt mid/late
C19, possibly after a fire. Squared coursed lias and limestone, with limestone
ashlar dressings and moulded cornice. Old tile hipped and gabled roof; stone
ridge, lateral and external stacks have C19 brick decorated diagonally-set
square and octagonal shafts with moulded stone cornices. U-plan. Jacobethan
style. 2 storeys and attic; 2:1:1:1:1 bays. East entrance front is largely
symmetrical. Deeply-recessed centre has large, formerly open-fronted, ashlar
porch. Moulded keyed round arch has console keystone and Tuscan columns on high
base, and shields in spandrels. Tuscan pilasters on tall pedestals. Moulded
cornice and openwork balustrade. Spiked ball finials. Late C20 glazed double
doors and panels. Half-glazed moulded 4-panelled double-leaf doors and fanlight
inside. Moulded stone mullioned and transomed windows throughout. Slight
projection above porch has 3-light window and coped stepped gable parapet.
Slightly projecting left and right bays have ground floor of ashlar with large
4-light window, string course and first floor with quoins and 3-light window.
Moulded parapet throughout. Angles have large finials. 2-bay inner sides of
wings have 4-light windows. Wings have large ashlar 6-light bay windows. Hipped
roofs rise into hipped roof dormers with C20 windows. Left wing has cross
windows to left. Right wing has plank door in right corner. Irregular south
front has short narrow wings with chamfered Tudor arch doorways and sunk
spandrels, on left with half-glazed 6-panel door, on right with French windows.
Cross windows, blocked on right. Angles have stacks of 3 shafts. Lower 2-storey,
2-window projection on left has another doorway with half-glazed 4-panelled door
and overlight. Single-light above. Coped gable parapet. Left part has one-light
windows and flat roof. Centre has upper 3-light window with central bow.
Projecting full-length 3-light window to right has balustrade and cross window
above. 9-window west front has 3 external stacks. Moulded string course.
Projecting gabled bay on right. Ground floor has 2 cross windows and 4
full-length 4-light windows, 2 with glazed doors of 2 round-arched panels. First
floor has cross windows and 3-light window to projection. Two 2-light casement
hipped roof dormers. Interior: entrance hall has screen on right of 2 Tuscan
columns and antae. Mid/late C19 fireplace has red granite shafts and stiff-leaf
capitals. Open well staircase of c.1630 has a richly carved open work balustrade
of flowers and foliage with panelled newel posts and large carved finials.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.96).
Listing NGR: SP4324468687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings