History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Astley Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Astley, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5024 / 52°30'8"N

Longitude: -1.5423 / 1°32'32"W

OS Eastings: 431162

OS Northings: 289485

OS Grid: SP311894

Mapcode National: GBR 6L0.0WZ

Mapcode Global: VHBWK.6CZJ

Entry Name: Astley Castle

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365144

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309103

Location: Astley, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, CV10

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Astley

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Astley St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Fillongley

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 07/12/2012


SP38NW
8/15
11/11/52


ASTLEY
Astley Castle


GV
II*


Country house, originally a fortified house. C13 and C14 origins; C15, mid C16
and early C17; remodelled c.1820. Regular coursed and ashlar sandstone; some
timber framing and brick to rear. Moulded cornice and embattled parapet
throughout. Front range has no roof; rear range has early C19 low-pitched slate
roof. Large embattled stone central stack; C16/C17 and C19 brick ridge, valley
and lateral stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys; 6-window range. Fifth bay has
porch restored or added early C19, with moulded doorway and embattled parapet.
Left return side has Tudor-arched window. Chamfered shallow Tudor-arched doorway
with plank door inside. Chamfered stone mullioned windows are mostly C19.
Four-light window in reduced C16/C17 opening above porch. First and second bays
have 4-light windows to ground floor. First floor has C16/C17 mullioned and
transomed window, and straight-headed 4-light window with Curvilinear tracery. 3
early C19 French windows have moulded 4-centred arches and fanlights with blind
Gothick tracery. 2 large 3-light Gothick windows above have 4-centred arches and
single hood mould with block stops. Straight joint between fifth and sixth bays.
Sixth bay has 3-light recessed mullioned windows. Left return side is a 2-bay
range with 2 large buttresses. First bay has 4-light wood mullioned and
transomed window, and C19 mullioned window above. Second bay has fragments of
4-light window to first floor; wall above has fallen away. Right return side is
mostly rendered, and has 3 gables. Right range is of C19 brick. Irregular rear
has large 2-bay right range with embattled parapet. Ground floor is hidden by
curtain wall (q.v.). Central external stone stack has upper part and star shaft
of thin bricks; square top of C19 brick. Similar shaft to right. 3-light
double-chamfered mullioned and transomed windows; tall left window has 2
transoms. Shallow projection to left has chamfered 4-centred lancet. Blocked
Tudor-arched opening below and to right of right window. Lower irregular
2-window range to left has some timber framing with brick infill to first floor.
2 doors, C19 brick one-window addition has dentil cornice. Mullioned windows and
casements. Interior not inspected. The building is derelict and little more than
a shell. Licence to crenellate at Astley was obtained in 1266. Elizabeth
Woodville lived at Astley Castle before her marriage to Edward IV. It was also
the home of Sir Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk, and Lady Jane Grey.
Behind the apparently early 19th century French windows in the centre of the
east range are 3 15th century arched windows, the tracery heads surviving
internally. This may have been the floored hall at the centre of the build,
with ground and first floor fireplaces. To the west of the hall is the 15th
century tower vice running to third storey or roof level. The 2 bays to the
north have on second and attic floors, timber-framed penthouses which may have
formed a long gallery. The 2 bays to the south form a 17th century solar wing,
medieval service rooms and curtain wall are reported at south west.

(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p75; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol.VI, pl5)


Listing NGR: SP3115989484

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.