History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tollgate Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Over Whitacre, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5188 / 52°31'7"N

Longitude: -1.6078 / 1°36'27"W

OS Eastings: 426712

OS Northings: 291282

OS Grid: SP267912

Mapcode National: GBR 5JD.2B8

Mapcode Global: VHBWB.2YWH

Entry Name: Tollgate Cottage

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Last Amended: 23 March 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365155

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309052

Location: Over Whitacre, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Over Whitacre

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Shustoke

Listing Text

OVER WHITACRE NUNEATON ROAD
SP29SE (East side)
Monwode Lea
3/147 Tollgate Cottage
11/11/52 (Formerly listed as Monwode
Stone Cottage)
- II
Turnpike cottage. 1769 with early C19 addition to north end. Coursed sandstone,
sandstone dressings, sandstone rubble and brick. Blue/black plain-tile roof with
parapet gable ends. Strawberry Hill Gothic style. On the front a shaped gable
with coping enriched with running foliate ornament and surmounted by a crocketed
finial. Square, single cell plan. Band between 2 storeys. At first floor an
oculus with quatrefoil in the shaped gable. The doorway, now blocked, in an ogee
arch is flanked by 2 single lights with cinquefoil heads in 2-centred archs.
Similar coupled and single-light windows in the south side wall. The rear wall
has a stack which is now internal. Addition made to north end. This is indicated
by a straight joint in the stone work. Sandstone and brick. 2 storeys. One
ground floor window has 3 lights with intersecting glazing bars in 4-centred
arch. Interior: The ground and first floors both have brick lined groin
vaulting. The date and initials are scratched on a brick at first floor. The
road was turnpiked in 1762.


Listing NGR: SP2671291282

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.