History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pooley Hall, Attached Former Chapel and Pooley Hall Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Polesworth, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6225 / 52°37'21"N

Longitude: -1.619 / 1°37'8"W

OS Eastings: 425885

OS Northings: 302817

OS Grid: SK258028

Mapcode National: GBR 5H0.KH9

Mapcode Global: WHCH5.3B9V

Entry Name: Pooley Hall, Attached Former Chapel and Pooley Hall Farmhouse

Listing Date: 23 November 1951

Last Amended: 23 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365179

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309314

Location: Polesworth, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B78

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Polesworth

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Polesworth with Birchmoor

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Newton Regis

Listing Text

POLESWORTH
SK2OSESE
5/78 Pooley Hall, attached former
23/11/51 chapel and Pooley Hall
Farmhouse
(Formerly listed as Pooley
Hall)

- 11*


Country house, now 2 houses, and attached former chapel. Said to have been built
in 1509 by Sir Thomas Cokayne. Altered 1692 and C18 some C19/C20 and C20
alterations. English bond brick with sandstone dressings. Old plain-tile roofs;
brick ridge, external and lateral stacks, Complex plan of 3 separate ranges
linked by curtain walls. Domestic Tudor style. Principal fronts are towards the
canal, Pooley Hall to left is 2 storeys; 4-window range, On the left is a
2-sore 6-light embattled bay, largely of stone; 3-light return sides and end
lights to first floor are blocked, Wide external stack has upper parts rebuilt;
2-light wood mullioned window in base. Irregular fenestration, mostly of 3-light
windows. Stone mullioned windows of [-centred arched lights throughout. Left
return side has 4-light and 2-light attic windows, and external stack. To rear
is a twin-gabled 2-bay front rebuilt in 1692. Blacked door to left. Late C20
half-glazed door and porch. Leaded wood casements with top lights, of 4 lights
to ground floor and 3 lights above, with segmental arches, Lower lean-to
addition across left return side. Right return side has stone buttress and
blocked 3-light muilioned window to first floors Leaded 3-light C18 windows,
Interior is said to have beamed ceilings and C16 and C17 panelling. Former
chapel is linked by a curtain wall with a lead-latticed glazed corridor with
central Cl9 ribbed door or; its west side. Chapel is Perpendicular style. bays.
East window of 3 stepped lancets with 4-centred hood mould. Shallow-pitched roof
has embattled gable parapets. South side has one-, 2- and 3-light
straight-headed windows. West front has chamfered 4-centred doorway with moulded
spandrels, hood mould and panelled stops, and ancient panelled door with applied
ribs. Straight-headed 3-light window above. Small 2-storey turret to left has
single light. Upper part is octagonal, with small opening to alternate sides,
North side has doorway. Pooley Hall Farmhouse to north has a 3-storey embattled
tower, with splay courses between storeys. Blocked straight-headed 4-centred
doorway on right; altered and blocked openings above, Chamfered stone mullioned
windows, of 2 lights to ground floor and 3 lights above. Stair turret on left
has canted top corner. Irregular one-storey C20 range on right. To rear is a
2-storey 2-window range with stone-coped gable parapet and kneelers. Rebuilt
west wall has 3- and 4-light stone mullioned windows with cornices. Left return
side has chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with hood mould, probably C20, and
panelled door, C21' four-light mullioned window to left. Small C16 brick
mullioned 3-light window above, Lateral stack on right has shaft with pilaster
strips and string course. Right return side has brick diapering. 2-storey porch
has blocked 4-centred doorway and single light above, Similar blocked doorways
to left and right. 2- and 3-light brick chamfered mullioned windows. Interior
not inspected,
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p374; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, pp187-188)


Listing NGR: SK2588502817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.