History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls, Towers and Gateway Enclosing Whitacre Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nether Whitacre, Warwickshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5404 / 52°32'25"N

Longitude: -1.6455 / 1°38'43"W

OS Eastings: 424137

OS Northings: 293674

OS Grid: SP241936

Mapcode National: GBR 5HY.QSW

Mapcode Global: VHBW9.FDFW

Entry Name: Walls, Towers and Gateway Enclosing Whitacre Hall

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Last Amended: 26 January 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365199

English Heritage Legacy ID: 309409

Location: Nether Whitacre, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire

Civil Parish: Nether Whitacre

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Nether Whitacre

Listing Text

NETHER WHITACRE DOG LANE
SP29SW (North side)

5/95 Walls, towers and gateway
11/11/52 enclosing Whitacre Hall
(Formerly listed as Whitacre
Hall including moat walls,
tower and gatehouse)

GV II*

Walls, towers and gateway. Probably an early C16 remodelling of an earlier
medieval site, with a gateway of circa 1600. Later alterations. The walls and
towers are of coursed sandstone rubble and the gateway is built of red brick
with a plain tile roof. The rectangular site is surrounded by a moat and the
walls act as a revetment to the inner bank and rise approximately 3 feet above
ground level. A square open backed tower projects from each corner except the
north-east. Each has a chamfered plinth and a small rectangular loop to each
side. They were all formerly capped by brick crenellations but only those to the
south-east tower are well preserved. The gateway is in the centre of the south
side. A round-headed entrance arch with ovolo-moulded surround is set within a
square headed recess with ovolo and ogee-moulded surround. The recess has a
timber lintel with ovolo-moulding and there is a shaped gable above which was
formerly capped by a finial, the base for which remains. Nail studded gate
containing an opening for a wicker gate. To the rear is a timber-framed gable:
the tie beam has ogee- and ovolo-mouldings and a carved trail of oak leaves. In
the panels above are quatrefoil shapes and oak leaf motifs. To each side of the
gate-house is an ornamental loop.
(Buildings of England: Warwickshire: p360; VCH: Warwickshire: Vol IV, 1965,
pp251-5)

Listing NGR: SP2413793674

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.