History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Former Stables and Service Wing of Stansted House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stoughton, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.888 / 50°53'16"N

Longitude: -0.919 / 0°55'8"W

OS Eastings: 476132

OS Northings: 110386

OS Grid: SU761103

Mapcode National: GBR CDP.8GL

Mapcode Global: FRA 86YR.KSR

Entry Name: The Former Stables and Service Wing of Stansted House

Listing Date: 5 June 1958

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365311

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301295

Location: Stoughton, Chichester, West Sussex, PO9

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Stoughton

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Octagon

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Rowlands Castle

Listing Text

STOUGT0N STANSTED
SU 71 SE
6/294A The former stables and
former service wing of
5.6.58 Stansted House

- II

The stables were built by James Wyatt in 1786 and were rebuilt by Thomas
Hopper in 1840. They survived the fire of 1900. Two storeys. 7 windows.
White brick. The end window bays project and have long and short quoins
of Roman cement. Stringcourse, cornice and parapet with a pediment over
the central window bay. Windows in moulded architrave surrounds with
glazing bars intact. In the centre of the roof is a rather heavy tower of
complicated design. It consists of groups of 4 columns at the angles with
a recess between containing 2 columns, and a clock face above. Dentilled
cornice over and parapet surmounted by a stepped pyramid with a weather vane
over it. The building is flanked on each side by a carriage archway leading
to the stable yard. These are round-headed arches flanked by twin columns
with a cornice and parapet over. The yard is a long rectangular space be-
tween the stable building and the service wing of the house behind to the
east. This also dates from 1786 and is a two-storey building of white brick.
This originally had a tower similar to that on the stables, but this has
been demolished.


Listing NGR: SU7613210386

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.