History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Charlton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3035 / 51°18'12"N

Longitude: -1.8332 / 1°49'59"W

OS Eastings: 411723

OS Northings: 156057

OS Grid: SU117560

Mapcode National: GBR 3X4.C9Z

Mapcode Global: VHB4R.5HQK

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 27 May 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310958

Location: Charlton, Wiltshire, SN9

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Charlton (Upavon Ward)

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Charlton St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Wilsford

Listing Text

CHARLTON CHARLTON VILLAGE
SU 15 NW
(south side)
2/7 Church of St. Peter
27.5.64
II*
Anglican parish church. C16 and 1857-8 by J.L. Pearson. Medieval
work in ashlar limestone with lead roofs. C19 work in flint banded
with limestone ashlar and brick. Tiled roof. North porch with
tower over and north chapel, all C15-C16. Nave and chancel in one,
rebuilding original work. Medieval work has 3 and 4-light trefoil-
headed windows in deep casement-moulded reveals and hoodmoulds with
sculptured and heraldic terminals. Crenellated parapet and
gargoyles. Door under tower has wave mould and arms in spandrels.
Two stages, with 2 tiers of pointed lights to the upper stage.
Crenellated parapet and corner pinnacles. Inner door is also wave
moulded. C19 work has tightly cusped 2-light Perpendicular style
windows, brick relieving arches and eaves courses but some brick
decoration to chancel. East window of 3 lights.
Interior: Porch has squint through north chapel walls to High
Altar. North chapel has a high trefoiled piscina and heraldic
corbels flanking east window. Three-centred arch to nave with
panelled soffit. Moulded timber ceiling. This chapel appears to
be the Chancey chapel founded or embellished before 1524. Nave of
6 bays. Fine open timber arch-braced roof on corbels, with 2 tiers
of windbraces. Chancel roof slightly lower, trussed rafters.
Piscina with shelf and south chancel window sill lowered as
sedilia. The interior is a good example of Pearson's early church
work. All fittings C19, font octagonal, stone. Pulpit of oak.
Chancel screen C15-C16 with single light panels with crossed
tracery, painted. Screen to chapel also late medieval. Organ.
Monuments: Nave, north wall: 3 wall tablets, white on grey
marble. Centre, 1783 by Westmacott Jnr. Inscription on drapery on
arrow. To Thomas, Henry, and Sarah Fowle of Wilsford and
Durrington. To left, Pedimented and aproned aedicule, 1763, by
Hicks of Newbury, to Sarah Mundy; to right, plain tablet, 1820 by
King of Bath, to Mary Jane Bloxam (Née Fowle). Nave south wall:
Two white marble tablets on grey, to east, suspended scroll, 1860
by C. Salmon of Devizes, to Henry and Mary Wansborough. To west;
plain tablet of 1932 to Col. Thomas Fowle. In chancel: Eight wall
tablets, white marble on grey. North side (a) tapered panel, by
Hare of Marlborough to Charles Pinckney, died 1820. (b) Oval,
obelisk over panel, by C. Viner of Bath, to William Pinckney, died
1811. (c) Gabled panel, to Robert Pinckney, died 1810. (d) Arms
over panel, to Pinckney family, including Marshall of the Horse to
Queen Anne and George I, C18. (e) Panel, arms above, cherub below,
to Francis Gifford of Upavon, died 1802, recording benefaction.
(f) Plain tablet, to John Price of Wolfhall, died 1837. On south
side; (g) Corniced tablet by Rogers of Bath, to Pinckney family,
1862. (h) C20 terrazzo tablet to recent members of the Pinckney
family. Flanking the Altar are 2 decalogue boards in stone Gothic
frames. Brasses: North Chapel, 1524, to William and Marion Chancey,
figures with arms over, and inscription recording building oe
embellishment of chapel. By reading desk brasses to John Mundy,
died 1674, and Bridgett Mundy, died 1691. In the churchyard lies
Mary, the wife of Stephen Duck, the 'Thresher Poet', born in
Charlton in 1765. He was a protege of Queen Caroline and who
became keeper of her library at Richmond in 1735. Ordained 1746.
He is commemorated by an annual feast and toasts in the Charlton
Cat P.H. (1821, altered).
(W.A.M. 319-23; Pevsner Buildings of England, Wiltshire.)


Listing NGR: SU1172356057

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.