This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3017 / 51°18'5"N
Longitude: -1.8168 / 1°49'0"W
OS Eastings: 412866
OS Northings: 155852
OS Grid: SU128558
Mapcode National: GBR 4YH.9H1
Mapcode Global: VHB4R.GKC0
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 27 May 1964
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311082
Location: Rushall, Wiltshire, SN9
Civil Parish: Rushall
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Rushall St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
RUSHALL CHURCH LANE
SU 17 NW (north side)
2/133 Church of St. Matthew
Anglican parish church. C14, C16 and 1812. Restored 1905.
Limestone ashlar facing clunch, and brick nave and chancel. Copper
roof, slate to chancel. Nave with north chapel, west tower, and
chancel. Tower is late C15-C16, of 2 stages, wth 2 openings in
upper ringing and bell stage. Crenellated parapet and corner
pinnacles. 3-light west window. Only the north east corner of the
nave and chancel arch survive of the medieval church, but
buttresses, keeled below lowest offset establish size. Nave and
chancel rebuilt in Flemish brickwork in 1812, with simple 2-light
'Y' tracery windows on south side. Chapel at right angles, 1789,
for John Poore, with 2-light north window of bar tracery and
colonettes. Chapel and chancel restored 1905 by C.E. Ponting, and
lancet to chancel set with tracery. Entrance at west end of nave
through shallow porch on south, blocked on north side. Good organ
by Hill & Co.
Interior: Wide nave with flat ceiling. C14-C15 chancel arch,.
socketed for rood beam. Chancel has C19 braced rafter roof.
Priest's door on south side embellished 1913. Medieval piscina in
north-east corner of nave. Tower arch tall with panelled soffite.
Fittings: Font, C12 square with plain arcading, on octagonal base
standing on upturned large C12 fluted capital. Pews of C16,
panelled with plain tracery carved on bench ends. Creed boards on
east wall. Monuments: North Chapel: Large white marble tablet,
1788, panel with patera frieze and lotus cornice, relief over.
Arms below to Edward Poore. Nave: By pulpit; wall panel of
limestone. C16, two recessed panels with odd shaped shields, one
inscribed WP, all within arabesque borders. Also behind pulpit,
small inscribed tablet to Roger Pinckney, died 1706. Five wall
tablets of white marble on black, on east wall (a) scroll, to JOHN
HAYWARD, died 1869. South wall: (b) Drapery inscribed with arms
over, by Wiltshire of Swindon, to GEORGE PINCKNEY, died 1883. (c)
Great War tablet. North wall: (d) Chaste white tablet to DAVID
EDMONDS of St. Mary le Strand, died 1812. (e) Tall tablet, early
C19, to RICHARD STRATTON, died 1810, and family. Chancel: Five
wall tablets: North: (f) Grey tablet on limestone background to
Rev. THOMAS GIFFARD, died 1746. (g) White on grey marble, to
FRANCIS GIFFARD of Upavon, died 1802. (h) Tablet by Harrison of
Devizes, to curate Rev. KENRICK PECK died 1837, and family. South
side: (j) Lozenge, to SARAH PECK, died 1802. (k) Slate tablet to
ANN BAXTER, died 1670. Poem. Over south door, Royal Arms, C18.
In tower: Hatchment. Glass: In chancel window, C15 panels of
Crucifiction and the Madonna. Arms above. North-east nave window
has a stained glass window of 1979 by A.E. Buss.
(Pevsner: Buildings of England; Wiltshire.)
Listing NGR: SU1286655852
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings