History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Spye Park House with Stables and Gate Piers

A Grade II Listed Building in Bromham, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4029 / 51°24'10"N

Longitude: -2.0738 / 2°4'25"W

OS Eastings: 394961

OS Northings: 167097

OS Grid: ST949670

Mapcode National: GBR 2T4.Y8Y

Mapcode Global: VHB41.0ZHY

Entry Name: Spye Park House with Stables and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 3 April 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365600

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311216

Location: Bromham, Wiltshire, SN15

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Bromham

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Bromham, Chittoe and Sandy Lane

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Lacock

Listing Text

ST 96 NW BROMHAM SPYE PARK

1/66 Spye Park House
with stables and gate piers

II

Former stables and coach-house to Spye Park, now house, mid C17,
ashlar with stone slate roof and 2 rear chimney gables with paired
diagonal stacks. Coped gables with finials. Lead-capped bell
cupola on West end. Two storeys and attic. Chamfered recessed
mullion 2-light windows. North front has 5 gables, centre gable
with C18 clock in roundel, the others with windows and dripstones.
7 similar first floor windows and 2 similar to ground floor left.
Adjoining to right, a range of 6 arched coach entries with raised
keystones and imposts. West wall has blocked arched opening in
gable. To left of main range, link with large arched doorway and
ornate carved C19 double doors from the demolished Spye Park. Link
connects to L-plan mid to later C19 stable range, ashlar fronted,
rock-faced rubble stone to rear. West front has 2 shallow
shouldered gables with roundels over 2 large 4-panel doors
alternating with large 12-pane windows. Range returns slightly to
West to link to slightly lower similar range with one gable over
similar 12-pane window with door each side. A rubble stone wall
connects to 2 C19 ashlar gatepiers with ball finials. West end
wall of original range has 2-light mullion windows and hoodmoulds
to attic and first floor, arched ground floor opening. Rear has
two large chimney gables set to left with attic 2-light windows,
two first floor 2-light window under single dripcourse and ground
floor lean-to with 4 short 2-light mullion windows and 2 doors. To
right, long catslide roof and ground floor similar pair of short 2-
light windows with doors each side. Original range is said to date
from 1654 and to have been built for the Bayntun family who moved
to Spye Park after the destruction of Bromham House in the Civil
War. C19 additions probably built for J.W.G. Spicer, owner from
1864.


Listing NGR: ST9496167097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.