History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Standlynch Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Downton, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0107 / 51°0'38"N

Longitude: -1.741 / 1°44'27"W

OS Eastings: 418266

OS Northings: 123511

OS Grid: SU182235

Mapcode National: GBR 522.JNQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 767F.X4C

Entry Name: Standlynch Chapel

Listing Date: 23 March 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365683

English Heritage Legacy ID: 319684

Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Downton

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Downton

Listing Text

DOWNTON STANDLYNCH
SU 12 SE
(west side)
4/125 Standlynch Chapel
23/3/60

II

Private chapel, now redundant. Medieval church rebuilt 1677,
restored 1859-66 by William Butterfield. Limestone ashlar with
flint chequers, tiled roof. Plan: nave, chancel, north chapel,
south porch. Porch by Butterfield has timber-framed gable and
double-chamfered doorway. South side of nave has two 2-light
square-headed cusped windows. South side of chancel has one 2-
light square-headed cusped window, east end has 3-light
Perpendicular-style window and north side has 2-light square-headed
cusped window. North side of nave has two 2-light square-headed
cusped windows and to left a flat-roofed chapel with ashlar stack
with moulded capping and 2-light pointed window, coved eaves
cornice to nave. West end has 2-light pointed window, above are
heraldic arms, probably of Bockland Family with date 1677. All
windows C19. Roof has coped verges on kneelers, cross finials over
gables.
Interior: Diagonally-laid black and white marble floor. Nave has
plastered wagon roof, wood-panelled walls. Hollow-chamfered
pointed chancel arch on grouped shafts, either side are reset C14
niches. Chancel has panelled wagon roof. Some good stained glass
in south and west windows, all to the Nelson family and of c.1900.
Large Gothic memorial on north wall of nave, finely grained
limestone, with pointed arch, crockets and pinnacles, to Thomas
Nelson, died 1835, the nephew of Admiral Nelson. A fine rococo C18
marble monument on south wall has fine floral carving and scrolled
pediment with urn finial; to Joane Penrodock, Mrs Bockland died
1689 and who restored this church in 1677. Classical marble tablet
on south wall to Thomas Nelson, died 1835, by Osmond of Sarum.
History: Little survives of an original Medieval church on this
site, probably built for the now demolished Standlynch House which
was replaced by Trafalgar House (q.v.) in 1733. The Bockland
family of the earlier house rebuilt the chapel in 1677. It became
the Nelson family's private chapel after they were given Standlynch
House, renamed Trafalgar House; the family were responsible for the
restoration of C19. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England:
Wiltshire, 1975. Country Life July 13th, 1945, page 68)


Listing NGR: SU1826623511

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.