History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The School House

A Grade II Listed Building in Deddington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9803 / 51°58'48"N

Longitude: -1.3188 / 1°19'7"W

OS Eastings: 446879

OS Northings: 231530

OS Grid: SP468315

Mapcode National: GBR 7TT.WXL

Mapcode Global: VHCWN.3H48

Entry Name: The School House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365844

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243903

Location: Deddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Deddington

Built-Up Area: Deddington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Deddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Deddington

Listing Text

SP4631 DEDDINGTON HOPCRAFT LANE
(East side)
8/178 The School House
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Chapmans
Way, Council Street)

GV II
Farmhouse, now workshop and offices. 1655 and 1735 on datestones. Coursed
squared marlstone with some ashlar dressings and some wooden lintels:
Welsh-slate roof with ashlar-and-brick stacks. 2-unit plan enlarged to 4 units.
2 storeys plus attic and 2 storeys. Earlier left half of range, with a steeper
roof, has three 3-light wood-mullioned windows at first floor, but at ground
floor has 3-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned windows, with labels, flanking
an altered doorway which retains an ovolo-moulded lintel with jewelled stops;
immediately left of doorway is a small blocked window. Right half of front has 3
renewed 3-light casements at ground floor, 2 with stop-chamfered lintels, but
first floor has a re-used 3-light C17 wood-mullioned window enlarged to 7
lights, probably in 1735. All first-floor windows have old lattice glazing. Left
end wall has a 3-light stone-mullioned window, a 3-light wood-mullioned window,
and has an old 2-light casement in the gable; parapet has moulded copings and
projecting scrolled kneelers. Rear has further ancient leaded casements, and has
a gabled stair projection. Principal datestone is inscribed 1655 and ZS/1735; a
second stone has the arms of Stilgoe and the date 1917. Interior: 3 open
fireplaces with wooden bressumers and continuous chamfers; renewed spiral stair.
The large first-floor room in the later range is reputed to have served as a
schoolroom. C20 workshop extensions are not of special architectural interest.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p572; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, pp87-8; R,
Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region: 1963,
pp124-7)


Listing NGR: SP4687931530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.