This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0789 / 51°4'44"N
Longitude: -1.8604 / 1°51'37"W
OS Eastings: 409873
OS Northings: 131077
OS Grid: SU098310
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZT.BFP
Mapcode Global: FRA 66Z8.K0Q
Entry Name: The Almonry
Listing Date: 4 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365922
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319355
Location: Wilton, Wiltshire, SP2
Civil Parish: Wilton
Built-Up Area: Wilton (Wiltshire)
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Wilton St Mary and St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
5409 WILTON PARK
SU 0931 5/1C 4.8.51.
Sole surviving part of the mediaeval nunnery - the building may have been
part of the "Bellhouse" court of the barony of Wilton.
C14 or C15. 2 storeys; ashlar with tiled roof, coped verges and kneelers.
Small belfry on south gable replaces former chimney. Principal features
are on the east front. 2 openings on 1st floor: a former 2-light cusped
headed window with moulded surround and a heavily moulded doorway with shouldered
lintel. On the ground floor is a cusped headed 2-light window in square
frame, a blocked circa 1400 door, an C18 or C19 segmental headed entrance
and a 3-light oak mullion window to left. To far left is a 2 storey opening,
ground floor chamfered. South gable has central restored Tudor arched doorway (by
Sir Richard Westmacott) with deep mouldings and moulded head below drip mould.
Beaded door panel with much weathered Pembroke arms over (probably also
by Sir Richard Westmacott). Slit vent above. North gable end has central
buttress and windows to right. West side has 1 range of 2-light mullion windows.
Interior: possibly later but extremely interesting roof which has 2 rows
of purlins with windbraces below. The trusses have 2 collars the lower braced
and corbelled. The space is divided by 2+2 trusses, the north end with corbels
below and with floor - part of which has brick barrel vault below.
Listing NGR: SU1055030729
Other nearby listed buildings