History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Allcannings, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3531 / 51°21'11"N

Longitude: -1.9013 / 1°54'4"W

OS Eastings: 406968

OS Northings: 161566

OS Grid: SU069615

Mapcode National: GBR 3WH.04Z

Mapcode Global: VHB4J.0860

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1365955

English Heritage Legacy ID: 311428

Location: Allcannings, Wiltshire, SN10

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: All Cannings

Built-Up Area: All Cannings

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: All Cannings All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Devizes

Listing Text

ALL CANNINGS THE STREET
SU 06 SE
(north east side)
7/8 Church of All Saints

19.3.62
II*

Anglican parish church. C12, C15, C16 and 1869 by Henry Weaver.
Ashlar limestone, with slate roof to nave, lead to tower and
aisles, and tiles to chancel. Cruciform plan of Norman origin, and
aisles to nave and north and south porches. East chapel to south
transept, the Beauchamp chapel. Transepts and aisles crenellated
over low pitched roofs, and fine carved parapets to transept and
south east chapel. Three light windows to aisles and panelled
Perpendicular tracery to transept gables and west window. Chancel
1678 rebuilt in 1868-9 of Bath stone, with paired lancets and
triple east window having carvings in arched string. Lombardic
corbel table, and carved copings. Central tower is of 3 stages
with plain parapet and square stair tower rising higher in north
east corner. Angle buttresses throughout. South porch has reset
triple C13 shafts and capitals, and a square headed inner door
with casement mouldings. Three mass dials to south transept gable
end.
Interior: Nave arcade of three bays on round columns and differing
octagonal capitals supporting double chamfered arches. Roof of
1638 with intermediate trusses and plastered vault. South aisle
has moulded beams and purlins as the Old Rectory (c/f) and C16 roof
to north aisle. Crossing piers incorporate two short C12 columns
with trumpet scallop capitals. South transept has a simple
piscina, the north now the vestry and organ chamber with a braced
rafter roof. Chancel Tractarian, with windows with marble internal
shafts incorporated in continuous wall arcading with quatrefoils
over. Three bay wooden ribbed vault. Alabaster gabled reredos
with relief of Last Supper, and texts in trefoiled flanking niches.
Tiled floor with initials of Methuen family. Fittings: Font; C15
low octagonal bowl with quatrefoiled panels and conical carved
cover dated 1633 T.M. Pulpit, late C19, octagonal. Pews and choir
stalls also C19. Altar rail on wrought iron supports. Monuments:
In nave; on west wall, two wall tablets, to north a pedimented
panel, marble, to John Fowle, died 1772, to south, marble panel
with pilasters and vase on grey pyramid, to William Fowle, died
1796. North Aisle: West wall, a large limestone aedicule with
broken pediment containing a hatted bust crest. Triglyph frieze.
Inscription to Gartrude Ernle, a child, died 1715, Elizabeth Ernle,
died 1729 and father added, Walter Ernle, died 1733. Also Rev. Sir
John Ernle, Bt. died 1734. South Aisle: A large limestone tablet
with thin Ionic paired columns, cornices and carved pediment
surmounted with eagles. Arms at centre and various inscriptions to
William Ernle, died 1581, and wife Jone. Wall tablet, coloured
marbles, urn over pediment, to Richard Riggs, died 1774, and wife.

Marble aedicule with painted crest over, to John Nicholas, died
1737. North Transept: A baroque tablet on a death's head corbel,
to David Cosens, died 1730. Beachampt Chapel: Three wall tablets
to Sarah Hitchcock, 1872, by Rogers, a scroll. Henry Hitchcock,
1821, and Simon Pile Hitchcock, died 1850 and family, by Reeves of
Bath. In chancel: North wall, white marble pedimented tablet with
urn over and arms on apron, to William Fowle, died 1779, and
various C19 brasses. Glass: Fragments of m edieval glass in heads
of east windows of Chapel, and in transept windows. Chancel glass
by Lavers and Barraud.
(N. Pevsner: Buildings of England - Wiltshire, 85-6; V.C.H., Vol
X, p 31)


Listing NGR: SU0696861566

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.