This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3598 / 51°21'35"N
Longitude: -1.8703 / 1°52'13"W
OS Eastings: 409124
OS Northings: 162312
OS Grid: SU091623
Mapcode National: GBR 3WB.MZ6
Mapcode Global: VHB4J.J2LX
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1365968
English Heritage Legacy ID: 311607
Location: Stanton St. Bernard, Wiltshire, SN8
Civil Parish: Stanton St. Bernard
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
STANTON ST BERNARD CHURCH ROAD
SU 06 SE
7/187 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. Late C15-C16, and 1832 for Rev. G.J.
Majendie, rector and prebend of Sarum. Ashlar limestone, slate
roofs. Medieval west tower. Nave, chancel, north porch and south
vestry all 1832 in Commissioner's Gothic style. Three-light
Perpendicular style windows between buttresses, which were added
slightly later. Crenellated parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Low
plain parapet to chancel, which has 3-light east window and 2-light
side windows. Vestry and porch have flat roofs and parapets. West
tower of 3 stages, angle buttresses and polygonal south-east stair
tower. Crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. Wide west
door with flattened arch, and label with dropped terminals reading
uncertain. Three light window over. Two light bell openings and
Interior: Wide nave with boarded 4-centred ceiling vault divided
into 5 bays. Tower arch with hollow chamfers. Elementary chancel
arch to wide chancel of 3 roof bays. Fittings: Font, C12,
reworked. Drum with fluted base and chevron lip. Pulpit, of oak.
Chancel rails of open ironwork with large fleur-de-lys cappings and
candelabra ends, the gift of Henry Broomham. Pews probably early
C19 with doors and tall iron candelabra. Wall Painting: On nave
east wall, on canvas applied to wall: God in glory surrounded by
River of Waters of Life, and around, angels and saints in fine
linen. c1900, artist unknown. Glass: Mid C19 glass in chancel,
with south window to G.J. Majendie who commissioned the rebuilding.
Furniture: Two C17 style upholstered chairs in sanctuary, one
probably original, and 1 reader's chair. Brass: Simple unfixed
square plate to Rev. John Shorthose, died 1721, and wife, and a war
memorial in nave.
Listing NGR: SU0912462312
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings