History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lambcote Grange Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Stainton, Doncaster

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4368 / 53°26'12"N

Longitude: -1.193 / 1°11'34"W

OS Eastings: 453709

OS Northings: 393637

OS Grid: SK537936

Mapcode National: GBR NX3P.JQ

Mapcode Global: WHDDF.NW35

Entry Name: Lambcote Grange Farmhouse

Listing Date: 26 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 334825

Location: Stainton, Doncaster, S66

County: Doncaster

Civil Parish: Stainton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Stainton St Winifred

Church of England Diocese: Sheffield

Find accommodation in
Mexborough

Listing Text

STAINTON FISH POND LANE
SK59SW (north side)

8/51 Lambcote Grange
Farmhouse

ll


Farmhouse. Dated 1747 for G. Purslove; earlier wing to rear of late Clb -
early C17 date; C20 alterations. Ashlar magnesian limestone, C20 cement-tile
roof; wing,to rear pebble-dashed and with Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys 5 x 2
bays with wing to rear centre continued by earlier 2-storey wing. Front:
plinth, rusticated quoins. Central French window in architrave with monogram
in roundel beneath consoled segmental pediment; flanking bays have plain
sashes with projecting stone sills and architraves. 1st floor: deep band;
sill band links windows as below, the central sash has eared architrave with
shell motif set in a corniced ashlar panel. Shorter 2nd-floor windows in
matching surrounds, the central window with ashlar apron and moulded sill.
Eaves cornice breaks forward over ends and centre; hipped roof. Right
return: blind, flat-arched window openings to each floor except that to
ground-floor bay 1 having inserted doorway. 2nd-floor openings are linked by
sill band and flank a deeply-carved rectangular plaque with initials and date
'G.P.1747'. Earlier wing on right has original doorway with quoined
surround and deep lintel with arched soffit; C20 casements, ridge stack and
hipped end to roof.
Interior: at foot of main staircase is an architraved display cupboard with 3
shaped shelves in a concave recess; doorcase nearby with keyed archivolt;
staircase itself has turned balusters and ramped handrails; dog-leg service
staircase with simpler, turned balusters. Stop-chamfered transverse ceiling
beam in ground floor of rear wing. On the site of a grange of Roche Abbey
confiscated by Henry VIII and given to John Broxholme of Conisborough; sold
to M. Purslove of Firsby in 1690 whose family built the front range and farm
buildings to rear (indenture in ownership of occupier at time of resurvey
(1987)).


Listing NGR: SK5370993637

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.