This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8181 / 52°49'5"N
Longitude: -2.5376 / 2°32'15"W
OS Eastings: 363865
OS Northings: 324642
OS Grid: SJ638246
Mapcode National: GBR 7S.VG40
Mapcode Global: WH9CG.ZFSF
Entry Name: Peplow Hall
Listing Date: 10 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366127
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260236
Location: Hodnet, Shropshire, TF9
Civil Parish: Hodnet
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Hodnet
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
HODNET C.P. PEPLOW
SJ 62 SW
9/81 Peplow Hall
Country house. Dated 1725. Enlarged in 1887 for Sir Francis Stanier
(1838-1900). Reduced in size and altered c.1932-9. Red brick. Roof
invisible behind parapet. 6 x 7 bays with additions to north. 2
storeys. South-west (entrance front): corner pilaster strips, plat
band and moulded brick cornice. Panelled parapet with stone coping,
raised to centre 3 bays. Central dated stone sundial with broken
triangular pediment. Four C19 panelled brick ridge stacks with
dentil brick caps. 2:3:2 bays with central break and C20 wing to
left; glazing bar sashes with exposed boxes, stone cills and gauged
brick heads. Central 3 first-floor windows and windows to C20 wing
with shaped brick heads and raised brick keystones. Central door with
6 raised and fielded panels. Stone doorcase of c.1932 with moulded
architrave, panelled pilaster strips, and large shell hood on shaped
brackets. Pair of C19 downpipes with large rainwater heads, one with
crest and one with the initials: "FS". C20 wing with one-bay returns.
C18 and C19 wings adjoining to left. 4:3 bays; segmental-headed
glazing bar sashes. Dentil brick eaves cornice and panelled parapet.
Three C19 brick stacks. Right-hand return front: 5:1 bays. Plat
band, interrupted beneath windows. Parapet raised over central bay
and has central dated stone sundial with scrolled pediment. Late C20
half-glazed door in third bay from left with late C20 conservatory.
North-east (garden) front: 1:5:1 bays; narrow third and fifth bays
and flanking wings. Plat band, stepped up beneath first-floor sashes
and central dated stone sundial in parapet with broken triangular
pediment. Central first-floor sash with shaped gauged head and raised
brick keystones. Central C20 half-glazed door with latticed
rectangular overlight and lugged stone architrave with raised centre.
Half-glazed C20 door in return of right-hand wing with latticed over-
light and lugged architrave. Attic added to right-hand wing c. 1932
with keyed gauged-brick oculus to front. Rainwater head with the
initials: "FSB". Circa 1932 wing to right: 3:1 bays. Interior:
altered in the late C19 and mid-C20 but still retaining many C18
fixtures and fittings. Resited C18 dog-leg staircase with landing;
open string with inlaid tread ends, nosings with bead and reel
ornament, carved scrolled brackets (section continued as soffit), 3
balusters per tread (iron twist, plain and barleysugar), ramped moulded
handrail, curtail with fluted columnular newel, and fluted columnular
newel to half-landing. Circa 1932 landing balustrade. Bolection-
moulded dado panelling. Drawing room: C18 fixtures including
bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and cornice. Wooden fire-
place with carved lugged architrave, frieze with carved scrollwork,
fruit drops- and amphora, and carved cornice. Pair of shell niches with
husk-drops, carved scrollwork and foliage in spandrels, shaped shelves
with bead and reel enrichment and panels below with carved drops.
Left-hand ground-floor room: C18 fireplace with bolection-moulded
stone architrave and wooden surround consisting of tapered pilasters
with carved fruit drops, cornucopia in frieze and carved cornice.
Right-hand front room: C18 bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and
cornice. Panelled shutters throughout. The owner (April 1986) possesses
drawings of work at the house dated 1877 and photographs taken during the
alterations of c.1932-9. The photographs show a large late C19 wing
adjoining to the south-east in a similar style to the late C19 work still
surviving to the north. Richard Norman Shaw designed the Chapel of the
Epiphany (q.v.) for Francis Stanier and therefore might also have been
responsible for work at the house. The 1930's work involved the
demolition of the south-east wing, the reworking of the north-east front
(see new brickwork) and the 2-bay addition to the south-west front.
The house stands in landscaped grounds, with a lake to the east and The
Chapel of The Epiphany (q.v.) to the west. B.O.E., p . 226; Ed. Peter
Reid, Burkes and Savills Guide to Country Houses, Vol. II, Herefordshire
Shropshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire, pp. 108-9.
Listing NGR: SJ6386524642
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings