History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mangreen Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Swardeston, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.58 / 52°34'48"N

Longitude: 1.2687 / 1°16'7"E

OS Eastings: 621557

OS Northings: 303044

OS Grid: TG215030

Mapcode National: GBR VGZ.9KR

Mapcode Global: WHMTT.GDCX

Entry Name: Mangreen Hall

Listing Date: 2 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366150

English Heritage Legacy ID: 226997

Location: Swardeston, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14

County: Norfolk

District: South Norfolk

Civil Parish: Swardeston

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Swardeston St Mary Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
East Carleton

Listing Text

TG 20 SW SWARDESTON MANGREEN

6/113 Mangreen Hall
2-10-51
II*

House, facade of c.1700 with additions on earlier core, additions c.1910.
Brick in Flemish bond with coloured headers, plain tiles. Double depth;
range to right with gable to north probably C17, attached range to left
with gable to north and single bay set back c.1700; various additions to
rear c.1910; 2 storeys and attic. Principal facade to north: 5 bays, 2
shaped gables across full width with decorative tie irons; platband to first
floor and attics; first floor offset c.l5cm; flush sashes with thick glazing
bars and flat arches, 4 to ground floor, 5 to first floor, 1 to each gable
with renewed flat arches. Central C18 classical doorway with 2 fluted Tuscan
pilasters, segmental pediment, frieze with triglyphs and guttae. Door with
10 raised and fielded panels. Left return to east: dentil cornice; external
stack with 2 openings to left as to north facade, semi-circular headed fixed
light with glazing bars to first floor right; two Cl9 cast iron drainheads
with shield and C for Churchman. Single bay with 2 storeys and attic set
back to left, shaped gables north and south, platbands and openings as to
north facade; return of bay with rebuilt brick facade, recessed arches with
glazing bars. Right return to west: 4 bays, 2 storeys; 2 external stacks
each with 2 shafts, stack to right partially rebuilt. First floor offset,
platband and openings as to north facade; brick dentil cornice: 3 C19
drainheads as to left return. Lower 2 storeyed 2 bay addition to match
to right, c.1910; platband and brick dentil cornice; first bay with double
flush sashes with thick glazing bars to match, flat arches; second bay with
2-storeyed semi-circular forward bay with parapet, ground floor with double
leaved French window with glazing bars, 2 sashes with thick glazing bars,
3 similar sashes to first floor. Rear of double depth ranges with 2 shaped
gables c.1700. Rear of addition of c.1910 with similar gables to left and
to right return; openings as to west facade with keyed oculus with glazing
bars to gable attic. Late C20 glazed extension to ground floor. Various
additions to south and east of C17-late C20, including 2 storeyed cell with
late C17 brick renewed having cross window with original latches to first
floor west. Interior: open well openstring staircase c.1.5m wide to rear
of west range, twisted balusters with acanthus leaves to vase base, brackets
carved with floral designs; panelled dado with short section of fluted
frieze; recess at first turn with acanthus leaf frieze to pilasters and
basket arch; semi-circular headed keyed doorway, panelled door and panelling
below stair string. Oval dome above stairwell with oak leaf garland moulding
to dome and enclosing rectangle; egg and dart moulding to cornice of stair.
East range with 3 tiered roof formerly hipped to north, some timber framing
to west wall; west range roof later. Ground and first floor with internal
doors of 6 raised and fielded panels; window glazing bars to interior with
ovolo mouldings; fireplace to north of west range with reeded pilasters
with acanthus leaf necking; Dutch tiles. Cellar below south end of west
range. Single bay set back to east: quarter moulded bridging beam to ground
and first floors with lambs tongue stops; semi- circular headed keyed doorway
to south of ground floor.


Listing NGR: TG2155703044

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.