History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Nicholas

A Grade II* Listed Building in Henstridge, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9766 / 50°58'35"N

Longitude: -2.3962 / 2°23'46"W

OS Eastings: 372279

OS Northings: 119763

OS Grid: ST722197

Mapcode National: GBR 0W9.M0N

Mapcode Global: FRA 56WJ.D9N

Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366325

English Heritage Legacy ID: 261812

Location: Henstridge, South Somerset, Somerset, BA8

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Henstridge

Built-Up Area: Henstridge

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Henstridge

Listing Text

ST7219
10/76

HENSTRIDGE CP,
CHURCH STREET (South side),
Church of St Nicholas

24.3.61

GV II*

Parish Church. C12 origins, mostly rebuilt 1872-3 by James Mountford Allen; Tower rebuilt 1900 by E Buckle. Local stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressing: stone slate roofs between stepped coped gables with finials. 6-cell plan consisting of 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, North and South aisles, 2-bay North East chantry chamel and 2-bay South East organ chamber and vestry, with West tower and South Porch. In C14/C15 style mostly. Chancel has plinth, cill course, and double offset corner buttresses; 3 light geometric traceried East window and similar South window, both under pointed labels with headstops. Organ chamber has diagonal corner buttress, a simpler 2-light traceried window and pointed arched doorway on South side, and another 2-light window to the East. The South aisle has bay buttresses and 3-light geometric traceried windows in the South wall, with a blank West wall: South porch on second bay from West has C13 style pointed arch doorways, the inner with ball flower decoration, The North East Chantry chapel has a diagonal corner buttress, a late C15 style 3-light East window and rather wide catching North window. The North aisle was not rebuilt; it has bay buttresses with offsets, 3-light late C15 style pointed arched windows without labels, and in second bay from East a blocked moulded C15 doorway; West wall blank. Tower in 3 stages with plinth, string courses, battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles, and angled corner buttresses with offsets to full height; square plan stair turret with pitched roof, 2 stages high, on South East corner; unusual ship weathervane; 4-light C15 style traceried West window with transome and subarcuation, the label forming a step up in the string course: 2nd stage has a 2-light window to the North, and small cusped lancets to South and West, with curvilinear tracery to the 2-light window at head of stair turret. 3 has tall 2 light C15 style traceried windows with labels and pierced wood baffles to all faces. Inside, the chancel has a ribbed and boarded 4-plane ceiling; late C19 furniture including brass communion rail in early Art Nouveau manner: the double arch into the chantry chapel almost certainly C13, with octagonal piers, broached base, moulded capitals and double chamfer arches; in Easternmost arch an elaborate canopied tomb, richly carved with considerable traces of colour, with 2 recumbent effigies on slab with panelled sides, with 4-centre finely cusped canopy arches and quatrefoil and rose coffering,commemorating William Cavent, High Sheriff of Somerset and Dorset, died c1463. In the Chantry chapel a North East corner canopy, probably early C16: narrow arch into North Aisle could be C13. Nave arcade in C13 style, but photograph in church shows it to be a complete rebuild, and remaining work all C19: the font in the under tower space has a plain octagonal bowl on tall octagonal shaft with moulded base and collar, probably C13. Several lesser C18 memorial tablets on West wall of North aisle. First known rector 1175, otherwise few details known. (Wakeford, A History of Henstridge, 1953).


Listing NGR: ST7227919763

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.