History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Stable Buildings About 50 Metres North of North Cadbury Court

A Grade II Listed Building in North Cadbury, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0421 / 51°2'31"N

Longitude: -2.521 / 2°31'15"W

OS Eastings: 363570

OS Northings: 127101

OS Grid: ST635271

Mapcode National: GBR MT.GR3M

Mapcode Global: FRA 56LC.KNX

Entry Name: Former Stable Buildings About 50 Metres North of North Cadbury Court

Listing Date: 24 March 1961

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366381

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262114

Location: North Cadbury, South Somerset, Somerset, BA22

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: North Cadbury

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Sparkford

Listing Text

NORTH CADBURY CP WOOLSTON ROAD (South side, off)
ST6327
8/181 Former stable buildings about 50
metres north of North Cadbury
Court
24.3.61
GV II

Stables, etc. Dated 1715. Cary stone ashlar on rubble plinth; double Roman clay tile roof between coped gables;
weathervane to south end. Two storeys; 11 bays, of which the outer bays are wider. Plinth, band course; pairs 2-light
windows with plain surrounds, those to ground floor having transomes, with small-pane timber casements above and
matching cast iron lights below; lower bays 5 and 8 have moulded arched doorways, the former cambered, with shields in
spandrils, one carrying date 1607, the other elliptical arched; lower end bays formerly waggon or coach houses, now
adapted with C20 doors and windows. Plaque with hood mould in north gable, and in west wall a blocked cambered arched
opening, possibly part of an earlier building: also on this wall, overlooking churchyard, a group of late C20
sculptured figures in bronze resin, depicting sin, death, joy healing and resurrection, by John Robinson of Galhampton.
Interior not seen. (Anon: Church of St. Michael, North Cadbury, undated).


Listing NGR: ST6357027112

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.