This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8792 / 50°52'44"N
Longitude: -2.9222 / 2°55'19"W
OS Eastings: 335216
OS Northings: 109255
OS Grid: ST352092
Mapcode National: GBR M8.SZFR
Mapcode Global: FRA 46RS.5D1
Entry Name: Avishays
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366399
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262133
Location: Chaffcombe, South Somerset, Somerset, TA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Chaffcombe
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Chaffcombe
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
CHAFFCOMBE CP WHITEMOOR HILL (West side, off)
Large detached house. Partly C17, but substantially altered 1745-1759 and in C20. Red brick in Flemish bond with Ham
stone ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs between stepped coped gables, some of which have ball finials; brick and
stone chimney stacks. Double roof plan with north crosswing and further extension northwards, 2 storeys; east
elevation, probably very late C17, of 5 bays, of which bays 2 to 4 project slightly. Plinth, rusticated quoins, cornice
band, shallow parapet; hollow-chamfered mullioned windows in chamfered recesses, except that to lower bay 2 which has a
wave-mould recess, all 3-light except upper bay 3 which is 2-light, and all rectangular leaded: to lower bay 3 a
6-panel door in cambered-arched suround, with timber shell hood over. The north crosswing abuts bay 5 and is 3-bays
wide, having 2-light plain beaded mullions with shallow architraves, rectangular-leaded with internal iron bars; on the
ridge a small timber bell turret: dated rainwater stackhead of 1759; plain end gable. South elevation has a double
gable, with plinth, cornice band and rusticated quoins: to each floor are four 12-pane sash windows in stone
architraves, with flat hoods to ground floor windows. West elevation of 7 bays, generally matching that of the south
gables, but bays 3 to 5 projecting slightly under a pediment; 12-pane sash windows to all but lower bays 3 and 5, which
have deeper 18-pane windows, and lower bay 4 which has small-paned French doors set into plain recess, protected by an
open porch having Ionic stone columns and entablature with segmental pediment, probably of early C20. Further wing
added to north, probably C19. Interior not accessible, but noted were window shutters, panelled rooms of several dates,
and a fine baluster staircase of mid C18 style: it is understood that some internal elements come from a house in Bath.
First recorded in 1316 as Aveneleseigh, the property changed hands many times; in C17 the Browne family leased it to
the Sealy family, who purchased it in 1697; this may be the date of the east front: thereafter descendants of the Sealy
family held it until it was sold to a Chard solicitor, Edward Clarke, in 1859. The owner in the mid C18 was Sarah Sealy
who married James Marwood, (died 1767). (VCH Soaerset, Vol IV, 1978, p124).
Listing NGR: ST3521609255
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings