History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 69 (And No 67 Attached to Rear), with Front Boundary Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Merriott, Somerset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9095 / 50°54'34"N

Longitude: -2.7894 / 2°47'21"W

OS Eastings: 344596

OS Northings: 112518

OS Grid: ST445125

Mapcode National: GBR MG.R33B

Mapcode Global: FRA 561P.WMK

Entry Name: No 69 (And No 67 Attached to Rear), with Front Boundary Railings

Listing Date: 4 February 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366443

English Heritage Legacy ID: 262380

Location: Merriott, South Somerset, Somerset, TA16

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Merriott

Built-Up Area: Merriott

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Merriott

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Hinton Saint George

Listing Text

ST4412 MERRIOTT CP LOWER STREET (North side)

9/130 No 69
(and No 67 attached to rear),
with front boundary railings
4.2.58

GV II

Detached house. Dated 1729. Ham stone roughly cut and squared, ashlar dressings; undulating Welsh slate roof with high
stepped coped gables suggesting former thatch; brick chimney stack. Two storeys, 5 bays. To ground floor, 4-pane sash
windows between bays 1/2 and 4/5, under continuous string stepped up over doorway; left of bay 3 a circular C20 window.
Above, ovolo-mould mullioned windows in wave-mould recesses with labels, all 2-light. In bay 3 a six-fielded panel door
in plain chamfered opining, up 2 steps, above which is set the datestone, inscribed 'S/JS/1729'. Two straight joints to
lower bays 1/2 and 4/5 suggest that originally the fenestration was fully regular. West gable partially collapsed at
head (June 1986): east gable has simple attic light. Rear elevation has blocked 2-light mullioned window below, and
also a leaded casement. Rear extension, No 67, extending in 2 parts from north-west corner, of which the end part is
C19. Interior not seen. About 4 metres in front of house a low ashlar wall with wrought-iron railings set thereon,
having scroll barb decoration, the top rail being swept up at the corners and at the gateway opposite the door, which
has a pair of matching gates hung on iron posts with urn finials: stone returns back to house.


Listing NGR: ST4459612518

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.