This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9106 / 50°54'38"N
Longitude: -2.8277 / 2°49'39"W
OS Eastings: 341902
OS Northings: 112672
OS Grid: ST419126
Mapcode National: GBR MD.QZC8
Mapcode Global: FRA 46ZP.L68
Entry Name: The Old Rectory, and Railings and Walling to West
Listing Date: 4 February 1958
Last Amended: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 262303
Location: Hinton St. George, South Somerset, Somerset, TA17
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Hinton St. George
Built-Up Area: Hinton St George
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Hinton St George with Dinnington
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
ST4112 HINTON ST GEORGE CP CHURCH STREET (West side, off)
7/53 The Old Rectory, and railings and
walling to west
(formerly listed as Rectory)
Detached house. 1841, nearly on the site of its predecessor. Ham stone roughly cut and squared, ashlar dressings;
hipped Welsh slate roof. Brick and stone chimney stacks. North elevation 2 storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, band and eaves
courses, plain pilaster strips between bays and double pilasters to corners; 12-pane sash windows in architraves. To
lower bay 2 a pair of 3-panelled doors with fixed toplight over, set into architraved recess, up 2 steps. Matching west
elevation of 4 bays, of which bay 4 projects slightly: east elevation less elaborate: lean-to on south side. Interior
not seen, except for the lobby, which is late Regency in character. Attached to north-west corner of house a short
length of double-carved ashlar wall with cast-iron spearpoint railings set thereon; then walling of cut and squared
stone with thin ashlar coping, about 3 metres high, leading to the east gateway of the churchyard (qv), adding to the
setting of the house and the approach to the Church of St George (qv). (VCH Somerset, Vol IV, 1978, p49).
Listing NGR: ST4190212674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings