History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8402 / 52°50'24"N

Longitude: -2.6752 / 2°40'30"W

OS Eastings: 354613

OS Northings: 327173

OS Grid: SJ546271

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.T4PJ

Mapcode Global: WH8B2.WW81

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 16 September 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366483

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260464

Location: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhu

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Lee Brockhurst St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Weston

Listing Text

LEE BROCKHURST C.P. LEE BROCKHURST
SJ 52 NW
11/9 Church of St. Peter
-
GV II*
Parish church. Mid-C12, restored and extended 1884. Roughly coursed
sandstone rubble, more evenly dressed and coursed to C19 additions;
machine tile roofs with coped verges on kneelers. Nave with west bellcote,
chancel, south porch, north vestry and brick store shed. Nave: one
diminutive round-headed C12 window on north and south sides with early
C15 square-headed west window of 3 cusped lights; square-headed window
to east of C12 window on south probably late C16 or C17 with mullion
removed. C12 south doorway has one order of shafts with scalloped
capitals and chevron ornament to both extrados and intrados of arch;
impost to-right side of arch with cable moulding. Massive nail-studded
plank door with fleur-de-lys pointed strap hinges is probably late
medieval or C17. Gabled west bellcote with twin round-headed bell
openings and timber porch on low sandstone walls both 1884. Short
one-bay chancel of 1884 has single trefoil-headed windows with hoodmoulds
on north and south and one of 3 lights to east. Gabled vestry at junction
with nave and chancel also 1884 and lean-to brick shed adjoining to
west is roughly contemporary. Interior: very plain with late C19 trussed
rafter roofs to nave and chancel. Deep single-splays of C12 windows
visible. Some C18 panelling (probably from former box-pews) reused
as wainscoting in nave but remainder of fittings and furnishings are
late C19 or later. Monument: wall memorial to John Henshaw of Wem,
attorney (died 1801) - nave, north side. B.O.E., p.165; D.H.S. Cranage,
The Churches of Shropshire, Part 8 (1906), p.700.


Listing NGR: SJ5461327173

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.