History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Royal Oak Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Moreton Say, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8989 / 52°53'55"N

Longitude: -2.5628 / 2°33'45"W

OS Eastings: 362239

OS Northings: 333639

OS Grid: SJ622336

Mapcode National: GBR 7R.PG05

Mapcode Global: WH9C2.LDVH

Entry Name: The Royal Oak Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 February 1959

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366491

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260408

Location: Moreton Say, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Moreton Say

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Moreton Say St Margaret Antioch

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Longford

Listing Text

SJ 63 SW MORETON SAY C.P. BLETCHLEY

8/103 The Royal Oak Farm-
10.2.59 house
GV II

Farmhouse, latterly inn. Circa 1600 with mid-to late C19 addition.
Timber framed with plastered infill on painted dressed sandstone plinth.
Extended in painted brick. Plain tile roof. Framing: close-studding
(with middle rail to ground-floor) with long straight tension braces.
Jettied first floors to cross wings with moulded bressumers and carved
scrolled brackets and jettied gables with carved brackets supporting bressumers
with carved vine-trails and moulded bottom edge. H-plan; one framed
bay with projecting gabled cross wings of 2 framed bays. Addition
of one framed bay in angle at rear. One storey and attic. Large dressed
yellow/grey sandstone stack behind ridge off-centre to left with rebuilt
or heightened brick top section, brick stack to rear of left-hand cross
wing, and brick ridge stack to right-hand cross wing. Large central
c.1600 dormer with C19 two-light wooden casement and jettied gable with
moulded bressumer. 1-:1-:1- window front; late C19 two-and 3-light
wooden casements, some with triangular upper lights. Rendered gabled
porch in angle of right-hand cross wing with C19 four-panelled door
(glazed top panels). Blocked c.1600 first floor windows in returns
of cross wings (3 lights to left and 2 + 2 lights to right). Evidence
of former ground-floor wooden oriel windows to cross windows (see mortices
on underside of bressumers). C19 addition to left with painted imitation
framing. Segmental-headed 2-light wooden casements in left-hand return
front. Rear: 2 gables to left with collar and tie-beam trusses, that
to right with close studding. Lean-to additions. Interior only partly
inspected. Left-hand ground-floor room with chamfered ceiling beams.
Old boarded doors with wrought-iron strap hinges and L-and H-hinges.


Listing NGR: SJ6223933639

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.