History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The North Western of the Two Shavington Bridges Approximately 650 Metres to South West of Bankhouse Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9467 / 52°56'48"N

Longitude: -2.53 / 2°31'47"W

OS Eastings: 364484

OS Northings: 338943

OS Grid: SJ644389

Mapcode National: GBR 7S.LHYN

Mapcode Global: WH9BX.36JB

Entry Name: The North Western of the Two Shavington Bridges Approximately 650 Metres to South West of Bankhouse Farmhouse

Listing Date: 10 February 1959

Last Amended: 5 June 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260424

Location: Adderley, Shropshire, TF9

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Adderley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Adderley St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Audlem

Listing Text

SJ 63 NW MORETON SAY C.P. SHAVINGTON PARK
SJ 6447 3894

5/118 The north-western of
10.2.59 the two Shavington Bridges
approx. 650 metres to
south-west of Bankhouse
Farmhouse (formerly listed
as Bridges at Shavington
Hall)

GV II

Bridge. Probably late C18, widened in 1940. Grey sandstone ashlar.
2 segmental arches with round-topped circular breakwaters and flanking
pilaster buttresses. Quadrant wing walls. Moulded string course to
parapet and square end piers with globe finials (only one at north-west
and remaining. July 1986). Initially built by the estate this bridge
and its neighbour (see Adderley C.P.) were Widened by the County Council
in 1940, reusing the ashlar masonry. The bridges carry the minor road
from Adderley to Wilkesley across the River Duckow at a point where it
has been widened to form an ornamental lake known as the Long Pool.
Bankhouse farmhouse is in Adderley C.P. and is not included on this list.
Anthony Blackwall, Historic Bridges of Shropshire, Shropshire Libraries,
p.66.


Listing NGR: SJ6448438943

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.