This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9234 / 52°55'24"N
Longitude: -2.5758 / 2°34'32"W
OS Eastings: 361387
OS Northings: 336372
OS Grid: SJ613363
Mapcode National: GBR 7Q.MYMX
Mapcode Global: WH9BW.DSP7
Entry Name: Pool House
Listing Date: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366503
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260565
Location: Ightfield, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Ightfield
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Calverhall (or Corra) Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
IGHTFIELD C.P. MORETONWOOD
SJ 53 NW
6/14 Pool House
Shown on O.S. map as Pool Farm.
Farmhouse, now house. Dated 1872, probably by William Eden Nesfield.
Timber framed on red brick plinth, with plastered infill and fishscale
tile-hung gables. Fishscale tile roof, hipped to north-west. Irregular
T-plan. One storey and attic. South-west (entrance) front: chamfered
plinth and coved eaves. Roof with lead rolls and globe finials.
Brick ridge stack at junction of 2 ranges to right and brick ridge stack
to left at rear. Right-hand gabled wing with 2-:3-52-light partly-
leaded wooden mullioned and transomed window, jettied attic with roll-
moulded bressumer and end brackets, attic oriel consisting of 3-light
wooden mullioned and transomed window with hipped roof and coved base
with shaped end brackets, and jettied gable with a series of small bracket
supporting a roll-moulded tie-beam and wall plates with shaped ends.
Lower bressumer dated: "JP & AM / 1872". Left-hand range with small
2-light attic casement beneath eaves to right and ground-floor 3-light
partly-leaded wooden mullioned and transomed window to left. Boarded
door in angle of wing to right with roll-moulded surround and lean-to
timber framed porch consisting of polygonal-arched entrance, chamfered
arched braces with carved spandrels, and carved bracket supporting wall
plate to left. Side benches within. Left-hand gable end: full-height
gabled square bay with 1-: 4- :1-light mullioned and transomed ground-
floor window, slightly jettied attic storey with roll-moulded bressumer
and small brackets, 4-light mullioned and transomed attic window and
shaped brackets supporting wall plates. Right-hand return front: pair
of ground-floor 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows and pair
of eaves dormers with 3-light casements and bracketed gables. Rear
with recessed centre. Central boarded door with leaded rectangular
overlight. Right-hand rear wing possibly enlarged in the later C19.
Interior not inspected. Nesfield was the architect of Cloverley Hall
(q.v.) nearby, built 1865-70. This farmhouse (and Pool Cottage and
The Haven in Moreton Say C.P.) is attributed to him on stylistic grounds.
B.o.E., p. 107; Clive Aslet in Country Life, Vol CLXIII (1978) pp. 678-
81 and 766-69.
Listing NGR: SJ6138736372
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings