This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9341 / 52°56'2"N
Longitude: -2.6838 / 2°41'1"W
OS Eastings: 354133
OS Northings: 337630
OS Grid: SJ541376
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.M2LM
Mapcode Global: WH89P.RJ50
Entry Name: Tilstock Hall Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366507
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260579
Location: Whitchurch Rural, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Rural
Built-Up Area: Tilstock
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Tilstock Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH RURAL C.P. TILSTOCK
SJ 53 NW
4/28 Tilstock Hall Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Mid-to late C16 with additions dated 1682 and 1861. Timber
framed with brick nogging (some painted), partly rebuilt in brick. Extended
in C17 red brick with yellow/grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain
tile roofs. Framing: closely spaced studs with middle rail. Baffle-
entry plan of 3 framed bays with C17 two-storey gabled brick porch and
large C19 Gothic addition to south. 2 storeys. West front: brick
ridge stack off-centre to right with 4 star-shaped shafts and integral
brick end stack to left with 2 square shafts. 2-window front; late C19
or C20 metal casements, except to ground-floor C20 two-light wooden casement
to left. Inserted C20 sliding boarded garage door off-centre to left.
C17 gabled porch to right with plinth, flush quoins, and string course
to left-hand return front with cyma-recta moulding. Left-hand return
front with first-floor 2-light wooden casement, ground-floor segmental-
headed 2-light wooden casement to right and doorway to left with ovolo-
moulded wooden frame. Late C19 lean-to timber framed porch in angle
with stone-capped brick plinth, glazed side and nail-studded C19 boarded
door. Main range with doorway behind porch. Left-hand gable end with
collar and cambered tie-beam truss. Rear: framed outshut to right.
Central gabled dormer with 2-light wooden casement. 1861 block to south.
Red brick with blue brick and grey sandstone ashlar dressings; slate roof.
Gothic style. 2 storeys. Plinth, parapeted gables with shaped kneelers
and copings and pair of stacks to north. 1:1:1 bays with central break;
Gothic wooden cross windows. Central first-floor oriel with circular
datestone in gable above. Central half-glazed Gothic door with flanking
buttresses and side lights. Interior: only partly inspected. Timber
fmmed range with chamfered beams. The gable end of the C17 two-storey
porch was rebuilt in the mid-C20, when the datestone was not replaced.
The stone (not included on this list) now leans against a farmyard wall
(October 1985); it is rectangular with a cyma-recta moulded cornice and
a superscribed inscription: M
Listing NGR: SJ5413337630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.