History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dodington House

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9669 / 52°58'0"N

Longitude: -2.6821 / 2°40'55"W

OS Eastings: 354286

OS Northings: 341276

OS Grid: SJ542412

Mapcode National: GBR 7L.K30P

Mapcode Global: WH89H.SP0C

Entry Name: Dodington House

Listing Date: 1 May 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366511

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260613

Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban

Built-Up Area: Whitchurch (Shropshire)

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Whitchurch

Listing Text

WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. DODINGTON (south-west
SJ 5441
side)
8/59 No. 19 (Dodington House)
1.5.51
GV II

House. Probably c.1600, extended in late C17, and extended and remodelled
in the C18 and early C19. Timber framed, with painted brick nogging and
partly rendered. Partly rebuilt and extended in brick, rendered to front
(lined as ashlar) and rear. Plain tile roofs, hipped at rear. Framing:
rear wing with rectangular panels (3 from sole plate to wall plate) on high
brick plinth. L-plan; H-plan with gabled wings, late C17 rear wing of 2-
bay baffle-entry plan, and early C19 infill in angle. 2 storeys and attic
with 2-storey wing. Plinth, chamfered quoins, parapet with stone coping,
and triangular-pedimented gables with copings. Brick ridge stack off-centre
to left, pair of integral lateral brick stacks to right, rear wing with brick
ridge stack and integral brick end stack, and infill block with brick ridge
stack and integral brick lateral stack. 1:1:1 bays, with projecting wings;
glazing bar sashes (12-pane to centre and 16-pane to wings) with painted
stone cills. Central C18 oak door with 6 raised and fielded panels (upper
panels glazed), 3-part rectangular overlight, reeded architrave and
stone Doric doorcase with unfluted baseless columns, frieze and moulded
cornice. 4-panelled door in return of right-hand wing. Rear: infill
block. Gabled dormer with 2-light wooden casement. 3 bays; boxed glazing
bar sashes to right with stone cills, louvred shutters to ground floor.
First-floor boxed 4-pane sash to left. Early C19 door to left with 6 flush
panels, Gothick fanlight with intersecting tracery and panelled architrave
with imposts. Rear wing: 2-window front; C19 two-and 3-light wooden
mullioned and transomed casements. Central early C19 door with 6 raised
and fielded panels, and doorcase with moulded architrave and shaped brackets
supporting triangular pediment with broken-back centre. Timber framing to
rear. C18 addition set back to left with first-floor segmental-headed
3-light wooden casement and door to right with semi-circular fanlight.
Interior: late C17-c.1700 and early C19 fixtures and fittings. Entrance
hall: c.1700. Dado panelling. Pair of depressed arches at rear with
raised keystones, central stubby Doric column on pedestal, and antae with
Flutes, two-thirds of height, and panelled sides. Right-hand doorway with
fluted pilaster to right and segmental 4-part overlight. Blocked doorway
to right-hand front room with moulded architrave, now shelves. Staircase
hall to right: early C19 dog-leg staircase rising 2 floors, with landings,
open string with cut brackets, stick balusters, and turned columnular foot
newel. Depressed archway at foot of stairs. Ground-floor right-hand front
room: C18 fireplace with staff moulding and narrow frieze and cornice
with central break. C18 elliptical-arched cupboard to left with moulded
architrave and 2 raised and fielded panelled doors below. Right-hand
cupboard with moulded architrave and frieze. Ground-floor right-hand
rear room: late C17 oak panelling with dentil cornice. Door with 2 raised
and fielded panels. Corner fireplace with moulded stone surround, wooden
frieze and moulded wooden cornice. Ground-floor left-hand rear (drawing)
room: early C19. Beaded flush dado panelling, plaster wall panels,
picture rail, fluted plaster cornice with paterae, and central plaster
ceiling rose. C20 fireplace with brought-in cast-iron grate. Windows
with fluted architraves and beaded flush-panelled internal shutters.
Kitchen in rear wing has blocked late C17 fireplace, with chamfered wooden
lintel, and panelled cupboard with H-L hinges. Barred windows. Early
C19 back staircase with stick balusters and square foot newel post.
Mainly early C19 six-panelled doors throughout with moulded architraves.
8-panelled door to left-hand rear room. First floor and attic rooms not
inspected.


Listing NGR: SJ5428641276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.