This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9705 / 52°58'13"N
Longitude: -2.6835 / 2°41'0"W
OS Eastings: 354193
OS Northings: 341675
OS Grid: SJ541416
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JW38
Mapcode Global: WH89H.RLBM
Entry Name: Saint Marys House
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366523
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260673
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch (Shropshire)
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P. SAINT MARY'S STREET
8/117 No. 31 (Saint Mary's House)
House, now partly offices and veterinary surgery. Early C19. Red brick
with some painted stone dressings. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys.
Plinth, first-floor stone cill band, dentil bricks to thin moulded stone
cornice, and parapet with stone coping. Central one-bay break with Full-
height round-arched recess and stone frieze and cornice to triangular
pediment. Pair of external brick lateral stacks to left (tops rebuilt
c.1900) and brick stack behind ridge. 2:1:2 bays; glazing bar sashes
with painted stone cills and gauged-brick heads. Central 6-panelled door
(lower 2 raised and fielded and upper glazed) with central beading, moulded
impost band, wreathed radial fanlight, reveals and soffit with raised and
fielded panels, thin moulded architrave and doorcase with horizontal-fluted
sides and radially-fluted- spandrels, flanking paired fluted strips, frieze,
and triangular pediment with mutules. Flanking cast-iron bootscrapers.
Inserted C19 four-panelled door replacing window in left-hand bay.
Former coach-house set back to right. Some late C19 alterations. 2
storeys. Ground-floor stone impost band, chamfered brick cill band,
dentil brick cornice and parapet with stone coping. 1:2 window front.
First-floor plate-glass sashes with painted stone cills and gauged-brick
heads. C19 half-glazed door in round-arched recess to left. Blocked
inserted carriageway to right with painted lintel on shaped stone brackets,
and inserted paired plate-glass sash. Left-hand return front of house
with plat bands, blind second-floor window to right, and downpipe in angle
of second stack with early C19 fluted semi-circular lead rainwater head.
Rear of house: 4 bays; boxed glazing bar sashes, that lighting staircase
in second bay from right is lower. Interior: very complete early C19
fittings and ornament. Entrance hall: moulded dado rail and enriched
plaster frieze and cornice with triglyphs. Front door with flanking fluted
pilasters. Pair of arches (now blocked) into rear staircase hall consisting
of fluted pilasters with fluted capitals, and moulded architraves.
Staircase hall:, moulted plinth, dado rail and plaster dentil cornice.
Apsidal end with cantilevered wooden staircase in one continuous swept
flight, consisting of cut brackets, stick balusters (3 per tread), and
swept handrail to fluted square foot newel post with moulded cap. Dado
rail. First-floor staircase hall has plaster frieze enriched with swags,
and central plaster ceiling rose with husk garlands etc. Pair of first-
floor round arches consisting of fluted pilasters with fluted capitals, and
moulded architraves. Left-hand ground-floor front room has enriched plaster
frieze with triglyphs, and soffit. Left-hand ground-floor rear room with
enriched plaster cornice. Early C19 six-panelled doors throughout with
moulded architraves. Panelled internal window shutters.
Listing NGR: SJ5419341675
Other nearby listed buildings