History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hordley House with Attached Wall and Outbuildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Hordley, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8689 / 52°52'8"N

Longitude: -2.9151 / 2°54'54"W

OS Eastings: 338494

OS Northings: 330553

OS Grid: SJ384305

Mapcode National: GBR 79.R6DP

Mapcode Global: WH89Z.643Y

Entry Name: Hordley House with Attached Wall and Outbuildings

Listing Date: 25 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366565

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260881

Location: Hordley, Shropshire, SY12

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Hordley

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Weston Lullingfield and Hordley

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Welshampton

Listing Text

HORDLEY C.P. HORDLEY
SJ 33 SE
8/184 Hordley House with
- attached wall and out
buildings
- II
Rectory, now house. Circa 1840 for Revd. John Walter Moore, rector
of Hordley (q.v. under Church of St. Mary) from 1839-92. Later additions
and alterations. Stuccoed red brick; low-pitched hipped slate roof
with central open well 2 storeys with stone floor band and sandstone
ashlar plinth. 1:1:1 bays, centre section with projecting pediment;
glazing bar sashes. Centre bay has hip-roofed porch with segmental
chamfered arch and inner 4-panel door; narrow segmental-headed windows
in angled breaks to either side. Ridge stacks to left and right of
pediment each have 3 attached and rebated shafts with square openings
to top. 3-bay right return has 15-paned glazing bar sashes extending
to ground under canopied verandah with corrugated-iron roof and wooden
latticed supports. Rear elevation, similar to front has segmental-
headed tripartite glazing bar sash to centre and 15-paned sashes to outer
bays, all extending to ground. Ridge stacks, similar to front, to either
side of pediment. Segmental-headed windows with leaded lights to left
return. Red brick outbuildings (stables, coach house etc) attached
to left return around cobbled courtyard are screened by red brick wall
with sandstone coping to front and are possibly slightly later than house.
Interior. Not inspected but noted as having panelled window shutters.


Listing NGR: SJ3849430553

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.