This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6216 / 52°37'17"N
Longitude: -2.7747 / 2°46'29"W
OS Eastings: 347649
OS Northings: 302931
OS Grid: SJ476029
Mapcode National: GBR BH.7X5Z
Mapcode Global: WH8C6.BCYK
Entry Name: Church of St Edward
Listing Date: 10 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366638
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259392
Location: Condover, Shropshire, SY5
Civil Parish: Condover
Built-Up Area: Dorrington (Shropshire)
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Dorrington
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SJ 40 SE CONDOVER C.P. DORRINGTON
9/90 Church of St Edward
Parish church. 1845 (datestone on west tower) by Edward Haycock. Limestone
ashlar, machine tile roofs with moulded eaves cornices and coped verges.
Nave, chancel, west tower with spire, north and south transepts and north
and south vestries. Narrow tower in 4 stages, openwork parapet and crocketed
corner pinnacles above corbel table, short octagonal stone spire; windows
all broad lancets with hoodmoulds, single to third (south) and fourth stages,
paired to second, pointed double-chamfered west door with carved heads as
label stops. Broad nave in 5 bays with short gabled transepts projecting
from fourth bay from west; windows all broad lancets linked by continuous
hoodmould to nave. Short chancel has gabled vestries on north and south
linked to transepts by short passage-ways; plain Gothic-style east window
of 3 lights with carved heads as label stops. Interior: plain mid-C19
appearance; hammerbeam roof to nave in 5 bays with 2-bay arch-braced roof
to chancel, narrow pointed tower arch behind west gallery and chancel arch
broader on corbelled responds; fittings and furnishings nearly all mid-C19
or later, small octagonal mid-C19 font in south transept and late C19 stained
glass in east window, transepts and third window from west on south side of
nave; part mosaic floor to sanctuary and two C18 hatchments hang on north
and south walls of nave. Monument: wall memorial to founder of church,
John Thomas Hope (died 1854), on south side of nave. The parish of
Dorrington was created from part of Condover in mid-C19. B.o.E., p.122;
D.H.S. Cranage, The Churches of Shropshire, Part 6 (1903), p. 489.
Listing NGR: SJ4764902931
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings