This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9423 / 50°56'32"N
Longitude: -2.6329 / 2°37'58"W
OS Eastings: 355626
OS Northings: 116064
OS Grid: ST556160
Mapcode National: GBR MP.NSX0
Mapcode Global: FRA 56CM.B2F
Entry Name: The Chantry, and Adjacent Doorway
Listing Date: 19 March 1951
Last Amended: 17 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366640
English Heritage Legacy ID: 261340
Location: Yeovil, South Somerset, Somerset, BA20
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Yeovil
Built-Up Area: Yeovil
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5516SE YEOVIL CP CHURCH PATH (West side)
5/3 The Chantry
(formerly listed as the Technical
Institute), and adjacent doorway
Chantry chapel, later school; Late C14 (re-erected on new site 1885). Local
stone cut and squared, with Ham stone dressings; Welsh slate roof between coped
gables. Single storey. Gable end to Church Path has deep plinth, square offset
buttresses and angled string course and coping without finial; one C14 window
with reticulated tracery and label moulding: the wing wall to the North has a
pointed arch doorway of C19. The North flank wall (masked by the boundary wall)
has three C14 late cusped tracery windows. Interior not inspected. A medieval
Chantry chapel which originally stood against the South West corner of St.
Johns' Church tower. By 1410 used as a Choir School, and refurbished in 1573 as
the School House. Dismantled in 1855 and re-erected on its present site as part
of the original St. Johns Sunday Schools, used in conjunction with same until
c1880, and then lent to the Roman Catholics until their church was finished
c1898. It then became part of the Technical Institute; (disused January 1983).
Listing NGR: ST5562416064
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings