History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wheat Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Condover, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6295 / 52°37'46"N

Longitude: -2.7447 / 2°44'40"W

OS Eastings: 349692

OS Northings: 303791

OS Grid: SJ496037

Mapcode National: GBR BJ.7JYS

Mapcode Global: WH8C6.T56G

Entry Name: Wheat Hall

Listing Date: 10 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366664

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259424

Location: Condover, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Condover

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Condover

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Stapleton

Listing Text

SJ 40 SE CONDOVER C.P. WHEATHALL

9/122 Wheat Hall
-

GV II

Farmhouse. Late C14 or early C15, re-modelled 1721 (datestone)
with later additions and alterations. Red brick concealing timber frame,
partly of cruck construction to rear, plain tile roof and raised verges.
Original plan a 2-bay open hall with service bay or bays at west end
and a 2-bay solar cross-wing slightly projecting at upper end; 3-bay
brick range added to front 1721 and the cross-wing extended to north,
forming present U-plan. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic to C18 range,
floor bands and toothed eaves cornice; 3-window front, glazing bar
sashes, replacing 5 infilled windows to first floor and 4 to ground
floor; central entrance, early C19 pilastered doorcase with 4-panel
door and rectangular overlight; integral corner end stack to right and
external stack to back wall on left, ridge stack to former open-hall
range. Datestone "W.D.(William Daker)/1721" over central first-floor
window. Interior: inspection not possible at time of re-survey
(February 1985) but central truss of hall range known to survive,
arch-braced cruck (destroyed on ground floor) with cambered collar and
v-struts, Alcock apex-type L2; first floor of cross-wing has close-studding with
short straight tension braces exposed to side walls and former northern
end wall but framing destroyed on ground floor; single-purlin roof
with curved windbraces and central and northern trusses surviving,
cambered collars supported by 3 vertical struts from tie beam (central
one now missing on central truss), jowled wall posts with slightly
arched braces to tie beam. An unusual feature is a pointed-arched
recess with moulded stone lintel at south end of east side wall; this
relates to a brick projection on the outside wall but its function is
not known. V.C.H. VIII (1968) p. 36; Alcock (1981) p. 143; Salop
County Sites and Monuments Record PRN 13259 (unpublished report
by Madge Moran).


Listing NGR: SJ4969203791

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.