History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Micklewood Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Longnor, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5819 / 52°34'54"N

Longitude: -2.7362 / 2°44'10"W

OS Eastings: 350210

OS Northings: 298481

OS Grid: SO502984

Mapcode National: GBR BK.BF1B

Mapcode Global: WH8CD.YC6J

Entry Name: Micklewood Farmhouse

Listing Date: 29 January 1952

Last Amended: 7 April 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366692

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259603

Location: Longnor, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Longnor

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Cardington

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Frodesley

Listing Text


SJ 40 SE LONGOR C.P. -

2/62 Nos. 1 and 2,
29.1.52 Micklewood Farmhouse
(formerly listed as
Micklewood in Leebotwood C.P)

- II*

Farmhouse, now divided. Circa 1680, for Waties Corbett, with early
C18 and mid- to late C19 alterations and additions. Red brick with
grey sandstone ashlar dressings; hipped plain tile roof. Shallow U-plan.
2 storeys and attic, over basement to right. Plinth to right with chamfered
top, 2 dentil brick string courses at lintel level, wooden dentil
eaves cornice and 4 mid- to late C19 gabled brick eaves dormers with
6-pane sashes. Flanking external lateral brick stacks with chamfered
offsets and pitched-roofed links to attic. Larger left-hand stack with
T-shaped shaft. 1:2:1 window front; C18 sixteen-parted glazing bar sashes
with stone lintels, rendered blind windows in inner returns of wings;
central door with 6 raised and fielded panels (mid-C20 copy), rounded
stone reveals with foliage-carved impost blocks and keystone, and large
segmental brick pediment above with moulded dentils. Straight joint
just to left of door (lighter brick to left). Right-hand return front:
2 windows; ground-floor right-hand window altered (see straight joint);
chamfered stone mullioned basement window to left. Left-hand return
front with blocked first-floor window to right. Central late C18 two-
storey and attic gabled wing at rear with 16-pane glazing bar sash and
dentil brick eaves cornice, and pair of lower flanking gabled wings,
that to left with external brick end stack. Interior: complete late
C17 and early C18 fixtures and fittings. Entrance hall: moulded dado
rail; 4-part cross-beam ceiling with moulded cornice; elaborate fireplace
(stack truncated below ridge) incorporating large segmental arch with
lugged architrave, splayed reveals with C19 decorative glazed tiles
and C19 grate, moulded dentil cornice, breaking forward in centre, and
painted plaster overmantel consisting of pilasters with scrolled capitals,
central cornucopia, flanking scrolls, and cornice with central triangular
pediment; pair of C18 wall cupboards to right of fireplace with raised
and fielded panels. Late C17 staircase rising from hall (not in original
position) with closed string barleysugar balusters, moulded handrail,
and square newel post. Circa 1720 staircase rising to attic at left
of stack; dog-leg with open string, pierced cut brackets, 3 turning balusters
per tread, moulded handrail, and turned newels (paired on half-landings).
Right-hand ground-floor front room: C17 moulded wainscot panelling;
C17 cross-beamed ceiling consisting of 4 square compartments with moulded
cornices and moulded circular panels within; C18 fireplace consisting
of lugged architrave with egg and dart enrichment, pulvinated frieze
with carved panel, moulded cornice and mid-C18 oil painting of rural
scene in lugged panel above; C18 corner cupboard to left of fireplace
with shaped shelves and segmental arch with imposts and key. Right-
hand ground-floor rear room: modern fireplace with flanking C18 cupboards;
C18 corner cupboard with shaped shelves. Left-hand ground-floor front
room: large blocked fireplace (former kitchen). Bedrooms: 3 rooms have
C18 fireplaces with lugged architraves and moulded cornices (C18 fireplace
formerly in left-hand front bedroom now removed and stored in attic
at time of survey - October, 1985). Fireplace in front roan to right-has splays
with Delft-type glazed tiles; centre bedroom has probably C19 false
chest of drawers (to allow headroom for altered C17 staircase). C17
and C18 coved and moulded.plaster cornices in many rooms. C18 doors
throughout; some boarded, with L-hinges but most with 6 raised and fielded
panels. This building stands on the site of an earlier house and the
layout of the central block with asymmetrical hall and large stack suggests
that some part of the earlier plan may have survived. Formerly listed
under Leebotwood C.P. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.100.


Listing NGR: SO5021098481

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.