History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cantlop Bridge

A Grade II* Listed Building in Berrington, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6518 / 52°39'6"N

Longitude: -2.7148 / 2°42'53"W

OS Eastings: 351737

OS Northings: 306243

OS Grid: SJ517062

Mapcode National: GBR BL.609Y

Mapcode Global: WH8C1.8LGY

Entry Name: Cantlop Bridge

Listing Date: 8 May 1972

Last Amended: 9 August 2017

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366715

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259711

Location: Berrington, Shropshire, SY5

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Berrington

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Berrington with Betton Strange

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Pitchford

Listing Text

BERRINGTON C.P.


SJ 50 NW


3/57


CANTLOP


Cantlop Bridge


8.5.72


II*


Bridge. 1818, by Thomas Telford. Dressed red and grey sandstone abutments with ashlar dressings; painted cast iron span and railings. Slightly curved and ramped abutments with chamfered quoins, string courses, and moulded cornices; single segmental span consisting of four lattice ribs; railings with dograil, dogbars and shaped end balusters. Old photographs show a cast iron plate above the centre of the arch. "THOMAS TELFORD ESQR/ ENGINEER / 1818", but this was not visible at time of survey (March 1985).


Thomas Telford was county surveyor from 1787 to 1834; this section of the Shrewsbury-Acton Burnell road was turn-piked in 1797. It is also said that the bridge was built in 1812 to the designs of Thomas Telford. The bridge spans the Cound Brook.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23 March 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Summary

Bridge over the Cound Brook, erected 1813, to a design approved by Thomas Telford.

Description

Bridge over the Cound Brook, erected 1813, to a design approved by Thomas Telford.

MATERIALS: cast-iron superstructure and railings; abutments of coursed red and grey sandstone with ashlar dressings.

DESCRIPTION: the surface of the roadway is formed of cast-iron deck plates, tarmacked and now gravelled over. The deck is carried on five cast-iron transverse members that are supported by four parallel, arched cast-iron ribs braced laterally to each other, and forming a single segmental span of 9.5m. The ribs spring from the stone abutments via a pair of transverse cast-iron plates set in rebates. The battered abutments have moulded string courses and chamfered ashlar quoins, and are topped with cornices. They curve outwards into the river bank to either side, giving the bridge a fan-shaped plan at either end. To the north-west and south-west sides are later stone revetment walls. The delicate cast-iron railings are painted and have a dog rail, dog bars and shaped balusters to the ends. A plaque on the bridge engraved: THOMAS TELFORD ESQR/ ENGINEER/ 1818, is not extant.

History

This section of the Shrewsbury-Acton Burnell road was turnpiked in 1797, at which time the crossing over the Cound Brook to the north of the hamlet of Cantlop was a narrow bridge. There are references to an agreement to make repairs to a bridge over the Cound in 1713. Sources indicate that money was raised by public subscription in 1812 for the construction of a new carriage bridge. It is not clear whether Thomas Telford, County Surveyor between 1787 and 1834, personally designed the new bridge as he did not list it in his autobiography, but it appears to have been built to a design approved by him. The castings for the bridge were supplied probably by William Hazeldine.

Cantlop Bridge was closed to vehicles in the 1970s when a new road bridge was erected immediately to the west and was taken into the guardianship of the Secretary of State for the Environment (now Culture, Media and Sport) in 1977 and is in the care of English Heritage.

Reasons for Listing

Cantlop Bridge, erected in 1813 to a Telford-approved design is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:
* Design: it is an important and early example of a single-span, cast-iron bridge which displays particularly well-executed detailing;
* Survival: it survives in its original form and retains its original ironwork and masonry.

Historic interest:
* Rarity: it is considered to be the only Telford-approved cast-iron bridge remaining in situ in Shropshire;
* Technological interest: it will add to our understanding of the casting and assembly methods employed during this pioneering age and as a surviving testament to the evolution of bridge construction during this period.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.