History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wem, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8551 / 52°51'18"N

Longitude: -2.7256 / 2°43'32"W

OS Eastings: 351235

OS Northings: 328864

OS Grid: SJ512288

Mapcode National: GBR 7J.S4G6

Mapcode Global: WH8B2.3HCL

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 28 August 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366758

English Heritage Legacy ID: 259939

Location: Wem Urban, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Wem Urban

Built-Up Area: Wem

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Wem St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Wem

Listing Text

1.
5358 HIGH STREET
(south side)

Church of St Peter
and St Paul
SJ 5128 3/33 28.8.51

II* GV

2.
Circa C14 base of west tower with perpendicular upper stages. Nave built in 1809-13
and chancel of 1886. Ashlar built.
Large west tower with diagonal buttresses with set offs, 2-light perpendicular bell
openings, battlements and crocketed pinnacles. West window blocked and smaller
window inserted. Unusual circa early C14 west doorway with 4 arches of continuous
mouldings with dog-leg bends at the base. Statues in niches on west and east walls
of the tower. Wide nave of 1809-13 with slate hipped roof and gothic carbelled
eaves. Four nave and south Decorated style windows of 1840.
Chancel of 1886 with canted angles and early English east window under a gable.
Vestry in angle of tower and nave with gothic ogee arched doorway and cast-iron
windows.
Interior: nave is galleried on 3 sides on iron columns. Vaulted chancel. Wrought
iron and brass pulpit and comnunion rail dated 1887.
The churchyard contains, south of church, many C18 and early C19 headstones and
early/mid C19 tomb chests.


Listing NGR: SJ5123528864

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.