This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9093 / 52°54'33"N
Longitude: -2.8996 / 2°53'58"W
OS Eastings: 339598
OS Northings: 335031
OS Grid: SJ395350
Mapcode National: GBR 79.NQ6H
Mapcode Global: WH89S.F4HH
Entry Name: Former Ellesmere Railway Station
Listing Date: 26 March 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1366787
English Heritage Legacy ID: 259900
Location: Ellesmere Urban, Shropshire, SY12
Civil Parish: Ellesmere Urban
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ellesmere St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
The following building shall be included:
Former Ellesmere Railway
Railway station. 1861/2 for Cambrian Railway Company. Flemish bond brick with
sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings; gabled Welsh slate roofs; brick ridge and
end stacks. 2 storeys. South front of 2:4:2 fenestration with projecting outer
wings. Stone lintels over 2-light cross windows and 2 half-glazed central
panelled doors (glazing inserted mid C20) to ground floor; keyed semi-circular
arched 6-panelled doors to former parcels office on left and station master's
house on right. Keyed semi-circular arched first-floor sashes with bracketed
sills; decorative oculi and cusped bargeboards to outer gables. Rear elevation,
of 10-window range, has central 2-storey bay window flanked by panelled doors;
canopy to former platform supported by cast-iron columns with trefoils to
Gothic-style spandrels. Gable-end walls, each of 4-window range with blank
central windows, have one-storey blocks with stone lintels over 2-pane sashes.
Interior not inspected but noted as retaining panelled doors and some original
fireplaces. Included as a good and externally complete example of a rural
Victorian railway station.
Listing NGR: SJ3959835031
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings