History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Presbyterian Church of Wales Chapel and Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Myddle and Broughton, Shropshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.799 / 52°47'56"N

Longitude: -2.7593 / 2°45'33"W

OS Eastings: 348904

OS Northings: 322653

OS Grid: SJ489226

Mapcode National: GBR 7H.WN8G

Mapcode Global: WH8B7.LX82

Entry Name: Presbyterian Church of Wales Chapel and Chapel House

Listing Date: 29 October 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1366805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 260086

Location: Myddle and Broughton, Shropshire, SY4

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Myddle, Broughton and Harmer H

Built-Up Area: Harmer Hill

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Myddle St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Myddle

Listing Text

SJ 42 SE MYDDLE C.P. ELLESMERE ROAD,
Harmer Hill

7/91 Presbyterian Church
- of Wales Chapel and
Chapel House

- II

Independent chapel and manse, now Presbyterian church of Wales. Dated
1833. Red sandstone ashlar; hipped slate roofs. Gothic-style chapel
of 3 bays. Chamfered plinth. Tall 2-light windows with Y-tracery, cills
and raised arches. South-east front: 2 windows flanking central 6-panelled
door with stone porch consisting of 2 circular columns with square capitals,
pointed arch and coping. Datestone above inscribed: "INDEPENDENT/CHAPEL/1833".
Datestone on south-east front inscribed: "PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH/OF/WALES/1920".
Manse adjoining to north west. 2 storeys. Plinth and 2 integral lateral
brick stacks. South-east.front: one glazing bar sash to each floor;
4-panelled door in left-hand return front with hipped-roofed stone porch.
Interior of chapel not inspected but west gallery noted with circular
columns, panelled front, and raked seating. This chapel was built as
a result of successful preaching by the Rev. George Rogers of Bomere
Heath. R.C.H.M., Non Conformist Chapels and meeting houses in Shropshire,
draft text (1982), p.14.


Listing NGR: SJ4889222642

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.